Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - HVAC - Where to install ????

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 03:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HVAC - Where to install ????
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2013 07:52 
Skipper

I'm purchasing a 16000btu unit in the coming weeks and am debating where to install the unit. I've read several posts and AC units are primarily installed in 3 locations on Tartan 37s....

1. V-berth (duct work is simple) (some note that the compressor is heard re-cycling)
2. Under the L-shaped port settee in the main cabin (duct work complicated as it will need to go forward)
3. In the pilot berth area (duct work simple but cabinet work needs to be done to wall in the pilot berth)

Duct work is problematic no matter where it is.

My plan is to install the unit in the V-berth, run one duct to the starboard aft locker for the main cabin, have another exit the V-berth locker, one to the head.

*** When I was repairing a stanchion once I remember a space in both port and starboard side areas above the headliner. I never looked to see if it was closed off by the mid ship bulkheads. If it isn't it would be a natural duct work for the entire boat.
Does anyone remember if the bulkhead separating the head from the main cabin goes all the way up to and under the deck in that space ?

*** Any other suggestions as to where to install the unit ?????????????

Cheers

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: HVAC - Where to install ????
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2013 07:30 
Skipper

I guess you saw my posting about this project here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=817
I chose this location because it is central and you can run ductwork easily both directions and the return is right where you want it. Downside is it is bit noisy, but I consider it white noise.

The bulkhead between the head and the main salon is pretty solid with only some wire chase-holes going through it. This is a structural bulkhead because of the chainplates and forces from the standing rigging etc..........
You would be better off running the ductwork from under the cabin sole and then pick a spot to go vertical.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013 12:12 
Skipper

OK, the pilot berth is an ideal area for the AC unit. I'm looking at a Flagship Marine unit 18000btu. After reviewing the install with Flagship I think the purposed exhausts will be:

1. one to the V-berth, forward locker
2. second to the aft hanging locker in the salon
3. third routed under the pilot berth hole cut through the galley wall and up into the first galley cabinet
4. fourth routed under the pilot berth hole cut through the galley wall under the galley cabinets and routed under the sink to exhaust on the right side of the sink.

The unit would be installed under the pilot berth. The far left cabinet under the pilot berth would act as the cold air return.

The thermostat mounted on the aft facing hanging locker in the salon.

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT KNOW THE SPACE UNDER THE PILOT BERTH AND THE GALLEY,,,,,, IS THIS PROPOSAL REASONABLE ???????

If this is possible I would not give up any space except the far left cabinet under the pilot berth.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013 06:08 
Skipper

Mike,
I also went with Flagship but went for the 16500 BTU unit and feel that it is a good match. This unit has three ducts, but could easily handle four.
The vertical clearance in that locker your talking about will be extremely tight and I am not sure it will work once you configure your ductwork. Double check your measurements before tearing things apart!

In my installation, I used insulated ductwork so my holes were 5" diameters going through the bulkheads and dividers, but I have a good right-angle drill for this and it worked well. I have a duct going forward to the V, one going aft then vertical exiting to the salon, then I have one going aft then vertical exiting to the galley. My return is a louvered door I made and you can see it in that link I sent in the last posting.

The seawater pump and filter are housed where the original fresh water pump was located: at the foot of the settee with the seacock installed close by.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013 10:03 
Skipper

Mike,
I was just looking at the specs for the 18000 btu unit you're looking at and I see that it is only 10.5" tall but it is almost 27" long which may be an issue. Also, that space below the pilot berth tapers as it goes forward, so you'll need to take that into account.
See my pic of that area with the teak face frame removed:
Attachment:
Starboard renovation and Swans Nov 11 016.jpg

Starboard renovation and Swans Nov 11 016.jpg [ 1.38 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Oh, by the way, you know not to remove that tension rod???? Shocked

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013 19:48 
Skipper

Many thanks !! I'm disassembling my pilot berth this weekend to do those measurements ...

I'll probably go with the FM18R which is length 19.75/502,, width 13.25/337,,, height 13.5/343 . In any case I'll need to do the measurements. Height may be a problem.

Profile Email  

Post subject: HVAC installed
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2013 05:25 
Skipper

Finished my install, have attached all the install pictures if anyone is interested.

Attachments:
File comment: Before the install
Before Install.jpg
Before Install.jpg [ 42.66 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
AC after install-7.jpg
AC after install-7.jpg [ 104.5 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
AC after install-6.jpg
AC after install-6.jpg [ 34.16 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
AC after install-5.jpg
AC after install-5.jpg [ 35.21 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
AC after install-4.jpg
AC after install-4.jpg [ 42.19 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
AC after install-3.jpg
AC after install-3.jpg [ 38.91 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
AC after install-2.jpg
AC after install-2.jpg [ 38.43 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: I raised the pilot berth cushion floor 3 inches to accommodate the height of the AC. Added a 3 inch spacer board to the cushion board.
AC after install-1.jpg
AC after install-1.jpg [ 39 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2013 06:52 
Skipper

Nice clean install! Have you fired it up yet?
You may want to monitor that uninsulated ductwork running next to the starboard hull for condensation in the A/C mode....might have to insulate that part of the hull a bit to help out with this. Maybe it won't be a problem.
My next mission related to this project is to build some removable, swinging companionway doors instead of the drop boards for quicker ingress and egress. I am using an insulated canvas to cover the companionway right now but it's hardly waterproof.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2013 16:34 
Skipper

Just a follow up....

The AC unit was purchased from Flagship Marine, 16000 BTU, Model FM16R. I installed a separate shore power connection, dedicated breaker, with 10AWG wire from the shore power connection to the AC unit. I ordered the unit with a start-up delay relay; not sure it was necessary but it runs on my Honda 2000I just fine. For what it's worth... I recommend the unit.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015 00:19 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hi everyone..

My AIRRRRR unit is set up on a shelf out of the way in the starboard cockpit locker beside my fridge compressor unit. The shelf is up high out of the way and does not restrict my 6'5'' - 230lb butt from gettin down in the aft area to work on the engine or generator. There is a small fan and controller on the starboard side mid-ships parallel with the mast. The fan takes up the forward section of the pilot berth (no one in my family would fit there). Also, being located so far aft, it is very quiet when on and never annoying. Seems like alot of wasted valueable space and the noise could be aggravating in the cabin... however the new models may be quiter...

Profile Email