Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Secondary winches and size of #1 Genoa

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 17:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Secondary winches and size of #1 Genoa
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2013 17:12 
Rail Meat

My wife and I are now the proud owners of a Tartan 37. On my prior boats I have always had secondary winches to fly our spinnakers and do other sail changes. Where have people put their secondary winches because the space is small and I do not see any pictures of Tartan 37s with secondary winches? My boat also does not have a #1 genoa, just a #2 and #3. What size have people found to be the best balance in light air? Thank you for your input. Scarlett - hull 336. Bill

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Secondary winches and size of #1 Genoa
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013 06:32 
Skipper

Bill,
Congrats on your new boat! You made a good choice Cheers
Where are you keeping her? We're on the lower Potomac, so if you find your self in the area, Tortuga's Lie always enjoys a visit from her sisters.
We usually have our 135 genny on our furler most of the year on the bay but will switch to our 150 usually in July/August when the winds get light here on the Bay. We also will fly the working jib in the late fall or early spring if the winds seem like they will be strong but the 135 is a good all around sail. We also have a cruising chute and a genoa staysail for the real light stuff.
The spinnaker winch on our boat came with the boat when we got her in '95 and I don't know if the factory installed them or previous owner but they are mounted on the coaming forward of the genoa winches. I need to detach the flap on the dodger but that's no biggy and the sheets run through a snatch block attached to a padeye on the toerail just aft of the genoa winch. Here's a couple of pics I found:
Attachment:
File comment: both winches and our new first mate

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG [ 1.89 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: In this shot, you can see the padeye just outboard and aft of the genoa winch.

Mom E and Wash DC sailing 2010 189.jpg

Mom E and Wash DC sailing 2010 189.jpg [ 718.09 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Secondary winches and size of #1 Genoa
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013 16:57 
Rail Meat

Thank you. We will be keeping her in Maine until we can really retire and take her south. I will spend about 6-8 weeks this summer cruising in Maine.

Profile Email