Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Centerboard pennant surgery

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 05:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Centerboard pennant surgery
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2013 19:22 
Skipper

Wish me luck with this one !!! Many years ago my boat nearly sunk when the pennant tube leaked. Last year I replaced all the thru-hulls with new tri-flange base Groco units,the pennant tube scared me,it exhibited a fair amount of crevice corrosion in the stainless tube under the rubber hose,a leak here would be a big problem so I had a plan. I cut out the fitting in the centerboard trunk, its a bronze 1'' thru hull with each side of the external flange cut off so it fits in the trunk,the internal holding nut is put on and glassed over. I made a template of the curve under the mast. Then purchased a 4' length of 1'' od titanium tube [$125] Took this to my local machine shop and had 3'' knurled in a lathe [for grip], then a bend put in to go up thru the mast [$65] The pic shows the first trial fit, I will heat and slightly bell the trunk end, and, when spring comes,abrade all around and west epoxy it all in place. I think this will end any corrosion problems ?? Will keep you posted when spring comes. Regards Bruce.

Attachments:
IMG_0603.JPG
IMG_0603.JPG [ 2.05 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_0599.JPG
IMG_0599.JPG [ 2.43 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hull #6

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Centerboard pennant surgery
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2013 12:25 
Skipper

Be sure and use a sealant over that knurled end of the pendant tube. It could be a likely spot for a leak.

Profile Email