Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Tartan stove fuel options

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 10:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tartan stove fuel options
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2007 16:35 
Midshipman

Just getting started researching Tartan 37's, and am noticing that both alcohol and propane were used on T37's in the same model year. Does that mean that there is the potential to convert from alcolhol to propane, i.e. a dedicated vented locker existis?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Doug

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Tartan stove fuel options
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2007 18:52 
Midshipman

Doug,

The alcohol tank on my boat is beside the stove in the cabinet next to the sink. Neither this tank nor the location would be appropriate for propane. I have purchased a propane tank locker that is supposed to fit the area below the helm seat. The stove will need to be replaced when I make this modification and my current estimate is $2,200 for stove, hose, locker, sniffer, tank, solenoid and regulator.

I don?t like pressurized alcohol but the system is working ok at this time and I have a long list of changes I want to make. So, until I work out the electric and get the new winches installed, alcohol it is.

Regards,
Craig
T37 #231

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007 19:28 
Midshipman

Doug, Tartan only used alcohol for stove fuel on T37s. Any T37 you find that uses propane does so as a result of subsequent owner modification. The ABYC requires that propane tanks be located in special purpose vented lockers, due to propane being heavier than air and therefore subject to accumulating below deck. The difficulty in converting from alcohol to propane is due to having to install a propane locker. Most are installed below the aft cockpit seat, port side. Jay.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2007 07:54 
Midshipman

I saw one T37, named Tattoo, that had installed a propane locker in the port helm seat as stated earlier. It held a 10 lb propane tank.

Be aware that the laws have changed and many of the old tanks cannot be refilled. The new tanks sell for around $70-80, but you can have new valves installed for a little less. Of course you can always go to the Bahamas to get your tanks filled.

Jerry
JAMMIN #226

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2007 21:16 
Rail Meat

I have a T-37 that is fitted with CNG. Works great, safe, but is not as efficient as propane. The other issue is availability. On my trek from Baltimore to the Caribbean, I found few places that refilled tanks. Prices ran from $65 a tank in Annapolis to $15 a tank in Ft. Pierce, FL. The other thing is that the larger aluminum tanks have lost their certification and won't be filled by reputable dealer. One of my (many) projects is to switch to propane. Although it is not as safe, it is cheaper and more available. One of the things I'm looking at is where to put the locker and whether to adapt the current stove & heater, or buy new ones ($$$). Fortunately, it is far down on the list of things I want to do.

Jack
s/v Don Quijote
T-37 #143

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2007 08:57 
Rail Meat

We are faced with converting our CNG stove to an LPG system. Our current plan is to call Seaward and try to purchase new burners/jets for the LPG and then maybe buy an LPG locker from Seaward to install somewhere in the lazerrette space. Has anyone actually accomplished this task? Thoughts? I really do not like giving up below deck space for the propane locker and even thought about keeping an aluminum tank topside to avoid the sealed locker. But it would be hard to do so without it sticking out like a sore thumb. Roger Rippy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2007 13:31 
Midshipman

Roger, a Seaward locker installed in a lazarette may not meet ABYC and Coast Guard regulations. A propane locker must open directly to the outside atmosphere. If the propane locker is installed in a lazarette, then the locker must be installed as high and as close to the top of the lazarette opening as possible. To meet this requirement, you'll have to build a frame in the lazarette of the T37, which frame will then hinder access to the engine, etc. For this reason, almost all T37 owners elect to install a custom locker in the port side of the helm seat. Attached are the ABYC propane regulations. Jay

Attachments:
File comment: ABYC Propane Regulations
A-01_Page_4.tif
A-01_Page_4.tif [ 47.54 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2007 06:00 
Skipper

My propane locker is in the typical location on the port side of the helmsman seat. This was fitted out prior to my owning the boat, but the installation works fine, although the tank size is a bit odd (harder to find). The locker has a drain that attaches to a 3/4" hose which is connected to a thru hull in the stern. This drain also satisfies the requirement for proper propane venting; although, I would fell better if the fitting were larger than 3/4". You need to be absolutley certain that this hose has no low spots to collect water for that would compromise any venting. Shocked

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2007 07:00 
Rail Meat

On a related note, have you guys seen the new LPG tanks from Trident. They really look like the perfect fit for SV Restless. The new tanks are made of a composite high tech material and you can see through them so you always know the fuel level. They cannot rust! When empty, they are half the weight of steel tanks!! They are encased in an attractive molding or sleeve.
Check them out at Trident's web site. Roger Rippy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2007 11:15 
Rail Meat

Re: Refills

As mentioned elsewhere the valves on propane tanks have been changed in the past few years so older tanks cannot legally be refilled.. Narrangansett Bay sailors can get new properly valved tanks(reasonably priced) through the little hardware store in Jamestown on Narrangansett Avenue about a 100 yard walk just up from Conanicut Marina and subsequent refills for about $11.
It is all reachable by water so as to avoid possible long drives with propane tanks bouncing around inside your car .
New tanks are available from West Marine at steep prices.

Greg Clifford

Profile Email