Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hatch repair vs. hatch replacement

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 08:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hatch repair vs. hatch replacement
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012 15:40 
Skipper

Hi All -

My original Atkins & Hoyle salon/vberth hatches are in need of new gaskets and acrylic. A&H has quoted me $828.40 for the parts, or $1118.50 if they do the repairs. They'll warranty the repairs for 1 year, and will strip and re-anodize for $150 each.

On the other hand, to replace the original hatches with new Lewmar Ocean Series hatches would cost about $1350. I mention Lewmar only because the pricing is easy to find. I haven't looked into other manufacturers yet.

Any opinions on which way to go? Has anyone replaced their hatches recently? What did you use as replacements?

Thanks -

Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hatch repair vs. hatch replacement
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012 15:55 
Skipper

I used the Hood Traditional stainless on mine, looks and works great, very similar in design to the Atkins/Hole.
It's probably close enough since the Annapolis boat show to get boat show pricing. Buy direct from them.
http://www.pompanette.com/pomp.nsf/Prod ... enDocument

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012 16:21 
Skipper

Thanks, TL;

I like the look of those Hood hatches. The stainless will look good with Betty Lou's new stainless grab rails. Looks like a 14.5' x 19.5" for the salon will run $622, and the 24" x 24" will run $866, or about $1500 for the pair. That would make them the most costly option so far, but I really like the look. Did you do both hatches? Any problems with the installation? I assume the frames are flat -bottomed like the OEM hatches?

Thanks --

Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012 18:27 
Skipper

The prices for work from Atkins and Hoyle are breathtaking. But one thing you might consider is that most contemporary hatches are extruded and not cast (I believe this is the case with the Ocean Series). I prefer the cast type because they do not flex as much. My A and H hatches have not leaked in the 20 years and many hard miles (the hatches themselves) though the boat flexes around them and the screw holes needed attention a few years ago (filling, redrilling, and rebedding)to stop seepage around the outside of the hatch.

I have been thinking about getting them redone (painted and new lenses) but I probably would not send them to A and H. I redid the gaskets with the material A H sells about 10 years ago, but I recall someone on this site had identified a cheaper source for the same stuff. It would be nice to put together a technical article on redoing them and identifying some alternate sources. Did you get a quote from Hatchmasters? I think they do this kind of work.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012 10:59 
Skipper

I recently replaced my A&H forehatch with a Lewmar Ocean type, I purchased it at the Defender spring warehouse sale for more than $100 off their regular price. Fitting was very simple, I filled the old A&H screw holes with thickened epoxy,and the Lewmar hatch frame JUST covered them. I thrubolted the Lewmar,the bolts hide nicely under the original inside wood trim.
The only surgery required was a small notch under each latch. My opinion is that this hatch is not as rugged as the original A&H, it has no struts to keep it open and depends on the [adjustable with allen key] friction in the hinges, the latches are of some type of plastic and do not inspire confidence as to long lifespan. My saloon hatch is original,rebuilt by A&H by the PO. I have the receipt,it wasnt cheap and still leaks !!!! I think my Lewmar will be OK for a few years but spending a little more up front for something better is probably a wise move.
Regards Bruce.
Photo of notch required.

Attachments:
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG [ 2.07 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012 17:37 
Skipper

There's no doubt that the original A/H hatches were extremely good quality, but when I looked into having them re-worked, it turned out that the set screws for the turn latches had frozen requiring new assemblies. The problem was that these new fittings etc plus the new acrylic and anodization would run almost as much as buying the new Hood Traditional hatches. This work would have been through an aftermarket business and not through A/H so I don't know how much they would have been.

The Hood has two locking support arms for the large hatch and one support arm for the smaller one. I wound up getting boat show pricing and both hatches ran me about $1000. I prefer the stainless look as opposed to the cast aluminum and the frame on the Hood is substantial enough not to give me worries and the acrylic is 1/2". Installation is the very same as the originals although the middle hatch needs an expanded hole, so you'll need to re-create the teak trim and make sure that any exposed balsa coring is seal or epoxied properly.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012 10:24 
Skipper

Do you have part numbers for the Hood Traditional hatches you installed?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012 12:45 
Skipper

Ardea wrote:
Do you have part numbers for the Hood Traditional hatches you installed?

This link takes you to the 24 X 24 size then you can navigate to the other hatches. I would call them to work out a "boat show" price....maybe there's a current boat show going on and they will honor the pricing??

http://www.pompanette.com/pomp.nsf/Prod ... enDocument

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012 21:47 
Rail Meat

I purchased new Hood hatches and ports during the Annapolis show at 20% off list price. Wasn't the Ft Lauderdale just last week? Call them and ask about the boat show discount. Now all that's left is the installation.......

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012 12:09 
Skipper

It's interesting in the description on the web page it describes screw type closure dogs and in the picture it looks like lever type dogs. Which type came on your hatches?

Profile Email