Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Spinaker pole dimensions

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 00:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spinaker pole dimensions
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2012 16:25 
Rail Meat

Hi

I recently purchased a T37 but it is without a spinnaker pole.

I would like to purchase one from an existing T37 (ideally) but chances are that there are few willing to sell theirs in the Caribbean where we are currently.

I will probably have to get one made and was wondering if anyone has the dimensions / specifications for a good pole for use of down wind sailing.

Any help (pictures) / advice appreciated.

Thanks
Trumps

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Spinaker pole dimensions
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012 06:30 
Skipper

A 3.5"'diameter pole, at least the length of the "J" (16'), is the norm for our boats. Selden spars in Charleston, S.C. is the most economical. The shipping is costly. A lot of owners don't believe flying a symmetrical spinnaker is valid in these modern times; perhaps you can find a used pole; they are hideously expensive new.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2015 08:11 
Midshipman

Looking for a spinnaker pole or pole ends if anyone has some to part with. 3.5" diameter, ~16' long.
also a cheap used spinnaker. Symetric or Assym.. not picky if the price is right.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2015 19:30 
Skipper

Bacon sails in Annapolis sells a lot of consignment poles, I mean they have a lot on inventory..........I am sure they would have a few that would fit the dimensions. Shipping will be the issue.

If you are in the Caribbean, St. Lucia/Rodney Bay can get a lot of marine gear, same for Martinique. Or, find some bamboo poles to lash together.......

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2015 07:10 
Skipper

If you are just using it for a whisker pole you can down size to 3in, and go a little shorter makes for a lighter pole. Also the adjustable ones are out there, easier to store but a little heavier. Bacon does have a bunch of poles, so many racers went to carbon. They sold one of my adjustable poles and only got about half want I was hoping cause he had so many poles.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2015 05:42 
Skipper

If you are serious about flying a spinnaker, I recommend a carbon fiber pole. I had one of the extendable poles of aluminum and it was just too unwieldy without a crew. The other thing is to get the composite jaws as the old metal ones are a pain to maintain.

Profile Email