Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Anyone Using the Harken Crusing Furler?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 17:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone Using the Harken Crusing Furler?
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012 09:48 
Midshipman

The marina I'm working with made a major mistake in quoting/installing a replacement for my twin-foil Schafer Furlex furler with a Harken single-foil "Cruising" roller-furling system. I don't race anymore, I use a 130 and seldom need to change sails, and the price is right so I'm planning to keep it. Are there any members out there that are using this Harken system and if so, how do you like it? I've always considered Harken to be one of the best.

Mark

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Anyone Using the Harken Crusing Furler?
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012 20:00 
Able Bodied Seaman

My boat came with a Harken. I dislike the black line that Harken sells with it as it is thin and hard to pull by hand and as it does not roll op very symmetrically because it flattens out. I have not had a chance to try anything else yet, but I will try an old low stretch main sheet with solid shape from my previous boat, it is a big thicker but might fit and be long enough for the rolling end..

Make sure the people "in the know" get the feed pulley tuned right otherwise it will not roll up properly when you let the genny out in light air and subsequently tend to jam if you have to retrieve it under windy conditions.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2012 17:07 
Rail Meat

Hi Mark, if you haven't found this out already, the "cruising" line of harken furlers were designed to go on new, production boats. They are lighter and therefore cheaper. That said, it' might be just what you are looking for. I had the option of going with the cruising furler on my Pearson Vanguard but decided I wanted the heavier unit for cruising. I also had them replace the furling line before install. Everybody hates it. Way to slick. Since the yard screwed up and gave you an alternate rig, perhaps they'll give you an new line. Worth a try. As far as quality, I've always used harken furlers on my boats and I have never had a problem. As a side note, the newer harken mark 4 units are a complete reengineering. You cannot used mark 4 parts on an older mark 3 rig.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012 04:23 
Midshipman

Thanks guys. The mast with furler attached of course, is down and in a heated building. I'll check out the furling line this week. I had not heard of the problem so this is good to know.

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2012 17:14 
Midshipman

I put the Harken system on this past winter replacing my old Hood Seafurl and thus far am very happy with it. Furls and unfurls very easily. Not a racer myself, but for cruising, I'd highly recommend it.

Profile Email