Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - building a boarding ladder

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 01:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: building a boarding ladder
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012 19:17 
Able Bodied Seaman

We are thinking of building a wood boarding ladder for our boat. We do charters and the stern ladder is just to difficult for many people. We've ordered plastic boarding ladders in the past and they are junk. Has anybody built a boarding ladder ( this will be mounted on the side of the boat ) not the transom? If so I would love to see some photos.
thanks
bill and chris
s/v Eden

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: building a boarding ladder
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012 07:15 
Skipper

Instead of a wooden one, how about a stainless folding version that attached to the outboard genoa track and folds up neatly at the lifeline gate? I have seen these before and they look very appropriate for the Tartan lines. They run around $300 +/-
A wooden version would require storage below somewhere or in the lazarette, taking up precious space.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012 08:41 
Skipper

I've got the folding stainless ladder as described by the previous poster, and can't imagine a better solution, especially if you're chartering. I can't imagine the steel ladder failing, even with a large person.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012 17:06 
Rail Meat

We built a very satisfactory Boarding Ladder for our T-37 (Hull #486) which deploys between the gate stanchions on either side. It consists of two boards serving as steps with rubberized steps on each and rubberized material along the rear portion of each step to protect against rubbing the hull. The ladder is connected on either side by rope with a spring loaded hook that clips into the stanchion on either side of the gates. The nice feature of the ladder is that when leaving the boat by dinghy after using the ladder, it can be folded up easily and left flat on the deck. Unfortunately, I do not have any photos of the ladder at this time but I will try to take some the next time I am aboard. Our boat is hauled and under cover at this time.

Peirce Anderson
TRYST #486

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012 21:02 
Able Bodied Seaman

Before you give up on the stern ladder, think about this. I removed a portion of the upper rail directly behind the back stay. I then attached two fitting and installed a lifeline with a pelican hook. When we use the stern ladder now, all we have to do is step over the lower rail and boat the boat. This is very inexpensive. It takes a tupe cutter, two fittings, a pelican hook, and a short length of life line.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012 20:02 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thank you all for your replies, truly appreciated.
bill and chris
s/v Eden

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012 17:35 
Rail Meat

Folding Ladder stores in lifeline gate:

http://bosunsupplies.com/products2.cfm? ... =TOPS-Amid

Here is the one I thought would work best for us, but it is a little pricey and when I contacted them a two years ago they were getting ready to work with a new fabricator and were not taking orders temporarily. There is another similar model out there but this is the original as near as I can tell. Our stern ladder is adequate, but could use at least one more step for boarding. I don't mind climbing over the rail, but getting a knee up on the bottom rung is no fun.

Ciao for now ....

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012 18:57 
Skipper

I had a transom folding ladder but I removed it, it is at present at the welders having a tube welded across the top so I can use it on the side,hanging from two fittings on the outboard gonoa track that I purchased from Mystic Stainless. Will provide a photo when spring comes !!!! Regards Bruce #6.

Hull #6

Profile Email