Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Salon sleeping berth expansion

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 09:48

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Salon sleeping berth expansion
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2011 15:56 
Midshipman

Probably most of us have stared at the L shaped settee, and wondered why Tartan didn't make that single berth convertible to a double. I love having the table stow against the bulkhead, but it's design interferes with expanding that berth. My desire to have a sleeping berth other than the V, which would allow someone to roll around a bit without feeling like theyre going to fall has led me to modify the table and settee.

I have yet to re-install the table, but the settee modifications are complete. All I did was install a 'shelf' around the C section of bulkhead-settee-and L section. I used 2x2 walnut for the rails, which I have had in my shop for some time and couldn't find a use for. Oiled, they match the existing woodwork nicely. I through bolted them to the bulhead and settee where I could. I have a 1"x 3" oak stringer running between the bulkehead and the L section of the settee to support the stbd side of the new berth. This board stowes nicely and quickly behind the mast. The bed is inch ply, and sized (roughly 19x54) to live under the port settee cushions. My settee back rest cushions do double duty as the berth cushions.

Because I wanted to keep the rails below the existing fiddles on the settee, I knew the height was going to be almost 2 inches lower than the settee. I'm using a couple layers of memory foam on top of the cushions to make up the difference. They roll up small and stowe in the V.

I slept on it last night and it's great. Rock solid, spacious (especially for one) and a snap to put up or take down. The overall sleeping area is now about 74x41.

All I plan to do with the table is shorten it and raise it's mounting position enough to accomodate the berth. I don't use it all that often, and I don't think I'll miss the 6 +/- inches I need to remove. I may shorten it enough that I'll eliminate the need to slide it up to raise it to proper height. Fixing it solidly to the bulkhead may help steady the table, which has always been too wobbly for my taste. New hinges will help, as the existing are a little bent.

I've not tried to attach pictures before, so I hope this works. I'll post pictures of the table once I get it finished and installed.

Doug Radabaugh
Kinsale T37 #22

Attachments:
DSC00182.JPG
DSC00182.JPG [ 51.09 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
DSC00179.JPG
DSC00179.JPG [ 51.93 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
DSC00183.JPG
DSC00183.JPG [ 55.88 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
DSC00171.JPG
DSC00171.JPG [ 43.74 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Salon sleeping berth expansion
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2011 06:12 
Rail Meat

Nice work! Where do you store the 2x4?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2011 16:21 
Midshipman

Haven't done it yet, but it will store behind the mast. Debating whether to use short upper and lower bungee's hooked into eye screws, or run machine screws from the head and drill two holes in the board. I want a solution that doesn't have any loose parts that could be dropped, or are hard to keep track of. Probably start with bungees.

Doug
Kinsale #22

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2011 16:41 
Midshipman

Nice work!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2011 12:12 
Rail Meat

Hello Doug,
It sounds like your berth expansion went well. I noticed that your boat was no longer slipped in Charleston. Where did you run off to? It's lonesome being the only T37 in Charleston!
Jeff Coulter
Bright Moments #108

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2011 18:34 
Midshipman

Hey Jeff, good to hear from you.

While TS Sean had the Atlantic all churned up early last month, we ran down the coast to Ft Pierce, Florida. Will head to the Bahamas late next month, then the Keys.

The expanded berth in the salon is really a great addition. Wish I'd done it earlier. It literally takes less than a minute to set it up or take it down.

Next up is a windlass install. I bought one of the models from Quick based on some testimonials from this group.

I may make a quick stop in Charleston early next summer. I've got an itch to do a trans-atlantic and may leave from there.

Best regards

Doug Radabaugh
Kinsale T37 #22

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012 16:02 
Rail Meat

Hello Doug,

It sounds like you've got it all figured out! Please stay intouch so I can live vicariously through you.

Best Of Luck,
Jeff

Profile Email