Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Anyone using a flexofold 2 blade feathering prop

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 17:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone using a flexofold 2 blade feathering prop
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011 11:40 
Midshipman

My trip home from Boothbay was not as fast as I thought it should be under sail so I'm looking towards a much smoother bottom (currently lots of chips and scrapes covered with bottom paint) and a folding or feathering propeller.

Does anyone have the Flexofold 2 blade 16 x 11 feathering prop installed? Any other recommendations here that won't break the bank?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Anyone using a flexofold 2 blade feathering prop
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011 15:14 
Skipper

I'm curious about that one as well! Or at least the folding two blade. It seems that the performance is pretty decent, maybe not as stellar as a Maxiprop, but for about $900 (boat show price), it certainly is less painful on the wallet Wink
I have an old Martec folding that is about worn out plus it does not have the geared opening, so one blade can stay closed causing vibration (severe).

Profile Email  

Post subject: I was quoted $1255 for the 17 x 11 folding two blade
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011 17:28 
Midshipman

I'll hold out for the Annapolis show to get the boat show price but think based on what I'm reading that I will give it a try. Right now I have a two blade 16 x 11 fixed prop and the Westerbeke 33 which seems more than adequate for my keel/cb model

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011 08:44 
Midshipman

I might be interested as well, it would be great if we could get a group discount at the show.

SOLARE #442

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011 09:35 
Midshipman

10% discount on an order of 3 props if interested. I'm ready to commit now if I can get two others.

I'll be ordering the 17 x 11 RH folding propeller, $1225 list, $1102.50 with the discount plus whatever shipping is.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011 17:15 
Skipper

I believe mine needs a 16 X 12 R.H.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011 18:30 
Skipper

FWIW, my next prop will most likely be the Campbell Sailor by West by North.

http://www.westbynorth.com/

I currently have the Autostream by the same company and I'm very pleased with it, was on the boat when we purchased it.

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2011 09:38 
Skipper

I am not following your comment about going to a Campbell Sailor--isn't that a fixed blade and the AutoStream (which I have and am similarly impressed with) is a feathering prop? My feathering prop gave me .4kt increase in sailing speed over the stock two blade.

I would suggest to the others who are thinking about props to get the biggest diameter (and perhaps less pitch) you can for efficiency. On my boat that was a 17 inch. Not sure if that would be true on all T 37s.

Ray

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2011 18:31 
Skipper

Velera...what I am trying to say is, I dont care for folding/feathering props, they just seem to be a accident waiting to happen. The Autostream is fine for now, if it ever needs to be replaced or we go offshore I will swap it for the Campbell Sailor though. I would feel more comfortable with a fixed prop. The CS has a very low drag, especially for a fixed 3 bladed prop. Here is a great thread discussing the CS to some other fixed props: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13 ... 32868.html

I really just wanted to offer something else to consider. Toast

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011 08:24 
Skipper

Chef,
I concur with your concerns about the maintenance required of the feathering props, that's why I like the idea of the geared folding prop from Flex-o-fold. As I said earlier, I have a Martec folding prop that came with Tortuga's Lie when we bought her 16 years ago and it is not geared and it's worn out....opens well beyond where it should. I know I could have it re-worked, but I don't think the expense is worth it. I will keep it as a spare.

Profile Email