Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Dinghy on Foredeck (size question)

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 01:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dinghy on Foredeck (size question)
PostPosted: 29 May 2011 14:33 
Midshipman

Hey!

I searched the forum and didn’t see this question addressed so here goes…

I’m in the market for a RIB dinghy and want to keep it on the foredeck when under sail. Does anyone have any experience with the largest size that will fit on the deck in front of the mast with the dinghy inflated, upside down and the dinghy’s transom against the mast (i.e. bow forward)? I was looking at the Caribe C8 or C9 or AB’s 8’6” or 9’6” and wanted to make sure they would fit as well as see what dinghy others own.

Thanks!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Dinghy on Foredeck (size question)
PostPosted: 30 May 2011 13:52 
Skipper

I had a 10' Avon Inflatable floor that fit but didnt leave much room near the bow to safely walk around it, we now have a Achilles 9'2" RIB and it fits much better.

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 May 2011 14:14 
Midshipman

T37chef; thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at the Achilles. I was really hoping that I'd be able to fit a dinghy that is in the 9' range on the deck and, from your post, it sounds like I will. You don't happen to have a photo of the dinghy on the deck that you could post do you? Thanks again!

Baxter.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 May 2011 22:17 
Skipper

This is the best one I have, not what youre looking for Im sure.

FWIW, I purchased my boat and motor (9.8 Tohatsu) from defender.com...very satisfied.

It will plane with the four (2 adults, 2 kids) of us, but just barely.

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011 10:05 
Midshipman

Thanks a lot for the photo. Looks like a good fit!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2011 21:12 
Skipper

If you are thinking of Caribe with a fibreglass bottom, I have one and they are very heavy. They do plane well even in rough water. Mineis a 10 foot Caribe and I have a 9.9hp. I am currently selling them both for $2100 Cdn. It is in Bayfield ON Canada Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2011 08:00 
Midshipman

sord wrote:
If you are thinking of Caribe with a fibreglass bottom, I have one and they are very heavy. They do plane well even in rough water. Mineis a 10 foot Caribe and I have a 9.9hp. I am currently selling them both for $2100 Cdn. It is in Bayfield ON Canada Very Happy

I saw the specs on the 10' Caribe and they do look weighy but, as you point out, that weight provides stability in rough water. I'd be interested in your dingy/engine if I could figure out how to get it to either Salt Lake City where we have a house or New Bern, NC where the boat is but think shipping costs would be pretty expensive! Crying or Very sad

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2011 23:33 
Rail Meat

Our 10 foot Avon RIB lives on the fore deck, most of the time right side up. It does get flipped over and secured for passages but for day sails or relatively calm sails between anchorages we winch the dingy up with a harness and sit it on a small fender by the mast and a large fender just in front of the hatch. We secure the dingy at the mast while the front rings on the dingy get tied off to a stanchion base. Once tied off we add some tension to the halyard which stays attached to the harness and the whole lot is very stable.

It is a little awkward getting around it to the fore deck but not a big deal and someone has to make sure a sheet doesn't snag when tacking.

The advantage of having a RIB for us has been huge. For a start the kids LOVE it! With a 15hp 2 stroke (70lbs) myself and 2 kids (approx 350 lbs) the dingy will to about 25/30mph through some pretty choppy water, fantastic utility for fishing, snorkeling, exploring or just getting somewhere fast. Anything over about 400lbs and the dingy will not get on plane. I installed a fish/bottom finder in the RIB which helps sound out the bottom before heading into a questionable anchorage and catch dinner Smile. Have even pulled the boat off a sandbar or 2 with the RIB as well.

The 15hp Johnston goes on the transom railing just fine but at 70lbs it is difficult getting it on and off. Some sort of crane would be recommended for most.
There are times when we know we will not use the RIB we just winch it over the side and just leave it in the slip giving us our fore deck back. Towing it costs about a knot and a half.

Hope this is helpful for someone.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011 19:35 
Able Bodied Seaman

I have a Walker Bay 8' w/o tube so far - There really isn't room for more than that and the windage is already high. The nice thing is that I can carry it over the foreward hatch or down on the deck - covering the cleat, windlass etc.

The WB-8 is a "lively" 1 person dink and a 2 person "sink" w/o tubes but it is easy to row - I will be making a centerboard for better stability.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2011 08:33 
Rail Meat

We have a Walker Bay 8' RID (the model with the tubes). It comes aboard with the spinnaker sheet easily since it weighs only about 100 pounds. It is easy for a helping hand to hold it off the sailboat hull as it come up or down so there are never scratches. We have the sail kit too and I love sailing it (I weigh 250 wet). It is very stable due to the tubes. I use two web clamps criss-crossed over the dinghy to hold it down on the deck and they attach perfectly to the forward stanchions. My little 2hp Yamaha pushes it right along but it is rated for 4hp when you put on the tubes. It rows well but not as nice as my last hard dinghy (a Danny Green designed two-part nesting dinghy). The picture I am attaching gives you a visual on how it fits forward of the mast. In the picture we just brought it aboard so it is not quite in place for lashing down. Ciao for now ...

Attachment:
File comment: Dinghy on deck

Dinghy.jpg

Dinghy.jpg [ 34.4 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email