Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - All chain on a T37?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 09:22

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: All chain on a T37?
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2011 23:34 
Rail Meat

I wonder if my '81 can handle the weight of an all chain anchor rode - I should
have 250-300 feet for Lake Superior and future cruising grounds. I expect I need
a 1200 or more watt windlass and a booster battery - maybe in the bottom of one
of the lockers. Whats your experience?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: All chain on a T37?
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011 07:10 
Skipper

Good morning,
I carry 120 feet of 5/16 HT chain and then followed up with another 150 feet of nylon. This puts a bit of weight that was noticable at first but not severely. think of it as having someone standing at the bow rail for a very long time! If I wanted more chain, I would figure out a way to feed it under the v-berth another 5 feet aft or so. I also divided my anchor locker down the middle so I can carry two anchors/rodes. I installed another roller and I am really happy with setup and don't think I would change it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011 09:27 
Tactictian

We have 240 ft of 5/16 on one anchor (20 kg Rocna), and 60ft on the second (33lb Bruce). I slept well last night!!

Definitely too much weight, but we have a lot of weight everywhere as today we head to the Marquesas. I have put 5 jerry jugs of diesel where the hot water tank was and the overall trim is fairly neutral. I find the boat handles it well, but it is a wet boat going to windward in a sea.

Charlie

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011 19:04 
Skipper

I've been trying to figure out how to keep weight out of the bow. We have 80' of 5/16" chain and about 225' of 3 strand nylon. This keeps the anchor shank down and unless it's rather shallow we end up with nylon coming off the bow to absorb some shock. I notice the bow go down if I put the salon cushions up in the v-berth but my engine weighs about 1/2 what yours does so that may be of some consideration. I just don't get the feeling there is a lot of extra floatation in the bow with such a fine entry. I will say chain makes a mess of the foredeck when anchoring in mud even with a washdown pump.

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011 23:28 
Tactictian

I agree, when I stand in the bow I feel like I am so close to the water.

I think the low freeboard is another reason the boat points so well - less windage.

One of the things I like about the boat is that it feels so nimble and light - like sailing a big dinghy.

But I am just an all chain guy, I have put it on all my boats and could not imagine going to rode. In the NW where I am from it is rocky and I am off to the pacific where there is coral. I think in mud or sand it is probably better due to the shock absorbtion of the nylon, but a good chunk of chain really seems to improve the performance of any anchor.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011 10:32 
Skipper

Third Coast Front Row

We personally use a length of chain between the anchor and the rode to provide an extra horizontal element to the anchor line. Diving on the anchor rode, I've noticed that the last few feet of chain are actually off the bottom. So the rode isn't rubbing against anything.

ALTHOUGH, I can't speak from experience on Impetuous because I don't know how long her chain is yet. Nor how much she pulls up the rode at anchor. But I suspect she will pull a few more feet up off the bottom.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2011 21:45 
Rail Meat

Thank you everyone.

I seems that somewhere around 100 foot chain will be good for now. A friend with a Cape Dory 33 just reported that he has 125 feet chain with 250 feet of line, - he is probably at the maximum for getting all the chain over the rail near shore.

The (new?) Quick Eagle caught my eye as it is Horizontal with a Vertical motor directly below, it is also available at 1400 watt. This would give the best possible clearance and the gypsy can be aligned with the main anchor on starboard while the capstan will line up with a second (smaller) anchor on port.

Any other suggestions?

Asathor

Profile Email