Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Centerboards

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 07:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Centerboards
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2006 08:10 
Skipper

I have heard of some T-37's glassing over their boards. Anyone familiar with this one? I can see the pro's and con's on it, but I haven't talked to anyone who's done it yet to see if the trade-offs are worth it.
I have taken mine off and re-worked the pad eye which the pendant is attatched, replacing it with two, thru bolted straps. I had to due this because of internal corrosion in the iron core. I also had to grind it down and put a new fiberglass skin over it.
Those of you who do not inspect your stainless hinge assembly, you need to do so when you haul out next time, it it prone to pitting and corrosion because it is not bonded to any zincs. I drilled and tapped the hinge plate to accept a zinc just for this purpose.
Tom

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Centerboards
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006 19:33 
Midshipman

I had a similar problem even in fresh water. The fiberglass/material where the pennant pad-eye was screwed in began to split. We had to take out the screw, re-epoxy the hole/area and put a new screw in.

Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2007 01:44 
Rail Meat

Same Problem here. The corrosion in the iron plates forming the core had expanded the plates causing a longitudinal split in the centerboard. I cut it open, removed the rusty iron, poured a new lead plate, installed a new U bolt with backing plate and re-glassed (epoxy + glass) the whole area. I also found that the centerboard hinge pin had corroded (it was chromed steel) so I milled a new on from a SS propeller shaft. The repair has worked for the lat 10 years.

Rejoice
T37 #24

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2007 20:04 
Senior Hull Holder

I have hull #2 and the centerboard was broken off and glassed over when I got. It ceratinly doesn't point well going to weather.

john d

#2 Debra

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2007 06:46 
Skipper

John D: Thanks for the reply. You have a hard time pointing without the board? What wind range are you experiencing? When I don't use the board, she'll point O.K. but not quite as well as with the board, mainly with light winds. Hull #2? Isn't that "Tigger"?

Profile Email