Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Removable inner forestay

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 05:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Removable inner forestay
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2008 11:51 
Tactictian

Can anyone help me with finding mast fitting for an inner forestay. Rigging only list one, but it is a bit expensive and I am not sure that the profile is exact.

Or maybe pictures of fabricated ones?

I am intending to install a solent stay, using the bolt that attaches the upper shrouds to the mast, and no running backs.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009 16:59 
Rail Meat

Bringing this topic back a little bit. My boat has tangs installed on the mast for inner forestay and running backs, which I will be rigging in the upcoming year. None of these were rigged when I bought the boat so trying to figure out a piece of the puzzle. Where on deck would you attach the running backs for anyone who has done this to their boat. Mine has no dedicated chainplates for them, so the only thing I can think of is attaching them to the genoa track. Is that sufficient for the load of a tensioned running back? Thanks
Adam

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 06:21 
Skipper

Adam,
My boat has a heavy duty pad-eye on the toe rail, right in line with the primary winches that are through bolted. When I bought her, she had these already in place, they are used for a turning block when flying a spinnaker but could handle much higher loads such as running backstays(see photo and look under the primaries). I would be reluctant to use the genoa track being afraid of deforming the aluminum and or pulliung out the bolts. These tracks only have small washers backing the nuts. When I re-bedded mine, I went with heavy gauge fender washers to help spread the load.
Attachment:
File comment: click on photo to open and zoom in

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg [ 1.45 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011 18:17 
Rail Meat

I don't know if anyone is still reading this one, but I have a drawing which I am not sure if it emanates from Tartan or from S&S. Please enjoy (if you can access the pdf file).

Johan

Attachment:

Cutter Stay reinforcements 20100324105058389.pdf [180.72 KB]

Downloaded 131 times

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2011 09:03 
Skipper

Thanks for posting this.....I believe this drawing was from Rod Stevens and appeared in one of our old Tartan37 newsletters years ago. Good stuff!

Edit: After re-examination, I see Tim Jackets name on the drawing.....however, I do know of a Rod Stevens version.....I may have a copy of that one somewhere in my archives....

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2011 14:03 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thank you for the Tim Jackett version. I have filed this in the Resources section of the tartanowners.org website so it will get to a larger audience.

New Day T37 #16
Newport RI

Profile Email