Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Removable inner forestay

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 12:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removable inner forestay
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2006 15:20 
Skipper

Has anyone installed an inner forestay / stormsail and if so how? What sort of backing plate did you use?

New Owner of 1981 T37
Stephen

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Removable inner forestay
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2006 00:18 
Skipper

Don't know the answer to your question... but I wanted to welcome you to the forum. Congrats on a fine vessel selection.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006 19:41 
Midshipman

When tyring to find my first T37, I looked at one on Lake Erie that had an inner forestay with the quick release function. When inspecting the boat, I noticed that the fiberglass headliner in the v-berth area had two stretch cracks just in front of the ports. Each was about an inch long. After further inspection, I realized that the inner forestay was only fastened to the deck and not through-bolted with a support to the hull. As such, I reasoned that high pressure on the inner sail pulled the deck upward to a point where it began to pull the aft portion of the foredeck upward, thus causing the cracks in front of the ports (not visible from the outside). Moral of the story - make sure if you put an inner forestay on a T37,that you fasten a long support rod from the hull (glassed in) to the deck. In my opinion however, I do not want to disrupt the spacious v-berth with a diagonal rod running up and down. So I will put up with the sloop rig. BTW, there was an article on this in one of the newsletters a couple of years ago.

Mark
Hull #315

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006 21:53 
Skipper

You make a good point about the upward pull on the deck. I will have to take a look at some of the other types of boats that have an inner forestay to see how far back they put the padeye and what they used below deck.

Thank you
Stephen

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006 22:02 
Skipper

The guy I bought mine from had a drawing done by Rod Stevens on where to put the inner forestay. It shows a support on the deck which runs through right where the access door is for the chain locker is, (on the chain locker side though) so there is no loss of room in the V berth. They show the support fibreglassed right down into the hull.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006 22:15 
Skipper

Could you scan the drawing and email it to me? It would be much appreciated.

Stephen

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006 18:09 
Skipper

Better yet... post it for the next guy. If you have no scanner, maybe a digital camera will do the trick. And tag me if you have issues with the attachment feature.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006 23:15 
Skipper

The drawing is at the boat 1.20hrs away. I probably won't be there for 2 months - but stay tuned and I'll get it done somehow.

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2006 00:02 
Skipper

Hey... next time you see it is fine. We Northern Sailors can certainly wait. Snicker Thanks.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2007 13:46 
Rail Meat

Planning to install inner forestay myself. Foredeck mount will be 4' aft of stem using ABI stem fitting which has a threaded base allowing a 1/2" rod eye to screw in under the deck. It will mount fwd of V berth bulkhead, keeping out of sight. I plan to glass in a mount for a rod or stay in the anchor locker to hold the lower end. The stay itself will be 9/32 (1/4 will do) and will be attached at the mast using a T Ball for easy removal. The lower end will be a 1/2" turnbuckle ( I can make a lot of slow changes for the price of a quick release and I'm not racing). Running backs will be using T/eye toggles to 1/4" Amsteel. Series 7 Scaeffer blocks will finish out the lower end. The idea is to be able to remove the whole system completely for std daysailing but be put in place for passages. It should allow for very good balance and power for the F5 -7 winds. A smaller sail or reef in the inner sail to allow for stronger winds

Profile Email