Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Spartite

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 13:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spartite
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2010 11:59 
Rail Meat

Installation notes for those who are interested in using Spartite to replace your mast boot and wedges (sorry, I didn't get pictures during the job):

The small size kit was plenty to do a Tartan 37 mast (I bought large but will be ebaying I guess, the can will rust away before I need it again). If a friend splits the cost of a large kit you'll be all set. I did use all the modeling clay provided in the large kit though, pick up extra at an art supply store if you buy just the small kit. I wanted extra on hand for any leaks during the pour.

You build the dam at the bottom of the partners using the foam (it's home-store pipe insulation, cheaply available locally) to support the modeling clay that provides the seal. I split the pipe foam at the seam and it was just tight enough to squeeze into the gap and make a floor for the clay about an inch up into the partners.

Double check that you sealed the mast track well before pouring--the stuff is like blue-honey and gets everywhere. Have acetone on hand for clean up before it sets. Have someone below with a bright light to detect leaks.

I taped the surface of the mast above the final height of the pour--it's hard to keep from getting any on the mast even if you squeeze the cup. remove this tape immediately after pour.

You'll need qtips or something similar to coat the partners with petroleum jelly prior to pouring the epoxy--my fingers were too big to get into the gaps at the front and back. Make sure you don't get any vaseline on the things you want to have sealed! (Mast, track) Coat the entire mold release line, you don't have to glop it on but don't want to miss anywhere or else it will be tough to unstep the mast.

The latex foam mast wedges that Tartan uses are a pain to remove, expect extra time from the spartite directions--took me almost 3 hours in total. I'll keep the foam wedges but don't think I'll be going back to them. Enjoy the dry centerboard pennant well!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Spartite
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010 16:39 
Able Bodied Seaman

Spartite is nice but the previous owner, to offset the natural list of the boat, set the mast angled slightly to starboard. Having now balanced the boat through the placement of additional batteries, I would now like to set the mast perpendicular to the boat and, hence, I need to remove part or all of the current Spartite. Does anyone know of an easier way aside of hours with the Dremel tool? Any relevant experience would be gratefully received.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010 19:50 
Skipper

Falco wrote:
Spartite is nice but the previous owner, to offset the natural list of the boat, set the mast angled slightly to starboard. Having now balanced the boat through the placement of additional batteries, I would now like to set the mast perpendicular to the boat and, hence, I need to remove part or all of the current Spartite. Does anyone know of an easier way aside of hours with the Dremel tool? Any relevant experience would be gratefully received.

Somehow we have two identical threads on Spartite. I wish you better luck removing it than I had--it took the paint off the mast and was a bear to remove out of the partners--thought that may have been my fault for not gooing up the partners with enough vaseline. We had to use drills, a very large hammer and chisels. Took a couple hours of frustrating work. See my post on the other thread. Your situation is another reason, IMHO, to not use the stuff as you cannot really adjust the mast in the partners if you have a change in list with Spartite. You might consider getting a couple feet of the neoprene for the purpose (which is what Hall Spars and my rigger recommended). I recall I paid $22 for it through Hall.

In the olden days when we set masts with wedges, we used to put in just enough wedges to hold it in place, tune the rig then place the rest of the wedges sot that we could see that the mast was naturally centered or where we wanted it, and how much pressure we were putting on the partners. Spartite prevents you from knowing that. I used it for 15 years, but I have no idea why (I think I thought it would stop leaks, but it does not and Spartite does not claim it does) and I would never put in on my boat again.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011 14:17 
Skipper

Don't throw out that mast boot just yet. In my experience Spartite is not water tight. I've only unstepped my mast once since installing Spartite and it came out fine. I used more vasaline than one would think needed but it seemed to prevent any sticking. The yard guys thanked me as they apperently don't like removing masts with stuck Spartite. But I think it will eventually leak without a boot or seal of some kind.

-Jim

Profile Email