Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Head Tank upgrade & relocation?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 12:35

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Head Tank upgrade & relocation?
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011 12:46 
Skipper

Bruce, you are correct on the tank dimensions but be sure you are measuring from the plywood face of one bulk head to the plywood face of the other bulkhead and not at the top where the 1" wide wooden cleats for supporting the plywood covers are attached. The distance between bulkheads in my boat was about 16 1/2". If you add in the cleats the distance is 14 1/2". The cleats have to be removed to get the tank in and re-installed after the tank is in postion. To my knowledge three of us have preformed this tank installation without issue but you just never know if all the boats in the production run were exactely the same in these dimensions.

I'm planning an aticle for the technical section of this web site to chronicle the installation I did on Ardea but not sure I'll get to it before August.

Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2011 06:14 
Skipper

Just my luck !! My boat is 14 1/2'' bulkhead to bulkhead, being as its an early boat, maybe they were still 'finalising' a few things. Looks like a bit of surgery is required this fall. Look forward to your 'how too' article. Bruce.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011 11:17 
Skipper

Well that sux. Maybe you could do an article on bulkhead relocation. Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016 14:07 
Rail Meat

Last weekend I made measurements to double check that the Ronco B-445 will fit in my particular T37, and it will, so I went ahead and ordered the tank.

I am wondering if anyone could advise me on what fittings to order. I am going to bite the bullet and use the 1.5" Shields Poly-X hose for maximum odor resistance, and figured I should use their smooth 90 deg fittings designed to fit their hose (Model# SHI-802-1120), but these need a through hull to screw into. I've also ordered 2 Sealand dip tube kits (Model# 385310660), one for the deck pump-out and one for the overboard discharge pump as advised on this forum. I'm assuming/hoping these have a thread on the inside that will accept the 90 deg elbows.

What I'm having trouble with is the other fittings. I need a 1-inch one for the vent, a 1.5" for the fill, and another 1.5" inch fitting for the Maretron TLM-100 tank level monitor I plan to install with their 1.5" NPT fitting adapter.

I've noticed in the photos of Windchime's and Ardea's installations that there is no inspection port in the tank. What kind of fittings are these that don't need access to the backside and where can I order them?

Also, is there a verdict on a vacuum relief valve to prevent tank implosion during pump-out? With a 1-inch vent opening, is it necessary for piece of mind or more of a liability for leakage/odor?

Thanks very much in advance to all for your advice and knowledge!

EDIT: I think I may have answered my own question - are the fittings in the tanks without inspection ports welded in? I am checking out spin-welded fittings. Would be nice to have flush fittings welded into the tank, with no chance of loosening up. Seems like I could do this myself, I have a high speed router, and would just need the driver bits. Anyone have experience with this?

-James

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016 15:48 
Skipper

Hi James,my tank has the 1 1/2'' fill on top,port side. The 1 1/2'' empty [combination elbow ]on top above the deepest part of the tank,with the provided dip tube. I am not sure if the fittings are glued or spin welded,looks more like glue. I have two 3/4'' vents each side of the top,and center top a 4'' clear inspection plate,thats great as I can hose the inside of the tank while the vacuum is on. Most of my plumbing is domestic drain plastic with barb fittings on ends and short lengths of trident to absorb vibration. [cheap and odor proof] I only have one exit,it goes to a 'T' then either deck fitting or through a whale pump to a thru hull. FYI when ordering,ask for the commercial discount and/or have it shipped to your boatyard,you will get a significant discount !! Bruce
ps, not too much clearance above the tank for piping.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2016 12:20 
Rail Meat

Thanks guys for the very helpful information. My order hasn't shipped yet, I emailed the company to tell them I'd like to add custom fittings, hopefully they don't ship it before seeing my request. I'll try and angle for the commercial discount, though since I already placed the order, I'm not sure if they'll do anything for me. I actually ordered the tank from tank-depot.com as they have a significantly lower price than Ronco, although the tank is definitely made by Ronco.

1 question - are the fittings they put in flush to the tank and welded in?

Also, I actually already have the SCAD tank monitor installed in my current setup and I like it very much. I was thinking I would add the NEMA2k Maretron monitor as well mostly just to satisfy my inner geek... although as I'm thinking about it, it's probably unnecessary. On the other hand, it can't hurt to have an extra 1.5" port in the tank even if I don't install the monitor.

James

Profile Email