Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Head Tank upgrade & relocation?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 08:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Head Tank upgrade & relocation?
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2010 12:30 
Skipper

I think we have the original set up for the holding tank, under the port side of the V berth? Its one of those things I have always questioned as why they put it there, especially the portion sticking to the port locker making it pretty much useless for its intended purpose IMO.

So I want to move the location to the forward V berth storage area and increase the size of the tank. I was also thinking to re-locate the vent (making it larger for one) and the pump out deck fitting closer to the bow.

I almost had a fix earlier this year when a guy at the marina had a tank that we thought would fit, from Ronco Plastics (http://www.ronco-plastics.com) but the tank # he thought it was wasn?t, didn?t work out Frustrating

I'm would be interested to know what others have done similar to what I want to do and if its a good idea or not? Suggestions, Comments, etc?

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Head Tank upgrade & relocation?
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010 18:10 
Skipper

Check out the installation in the enclosed link. I wanted to do this to Ardea but I keep spending money on things that keep her afloat. Gives you 35 gallon of raw sewage in the bow (now there's a sobering thought).

http://windchimetimes.us/Photo%20pages/upgrades.htm

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010 20:08 
Skipper

I increased my tank to a V shaped 45 gal tank from Ronco. It sits just in front of th V cutout and before the bukhead under the Vberth. It just fits but that along with the Vacu Flush toilet system (which uses 1 ltre per flush) means we can go for almost 2 weeks if we are careful (If its yellow let it mellow and if its brown flsh it down). The wife loves it. I have photos of the install and will dig them out if interested. Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010 20:48 
Skipper

sord wrote:
I increased my tank to a V shaped 45 gal tank from Ronco. It sits just in front of th V cutout and before the bukhead under the Vberth. It just fits but that along with the Vacu Flush toilet system (which uses 1 ltre per flush) means we can go for almost 2 weeks if we are careful (If its yellow let it mellow and if its brown flsh it down). The wife loves it. I have photos of the install and will dig them out if interested. Very Happy

Yes, any info and photos you can share regarding your installation would be much appreciated, 45 gallons, WOW

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010 21:17 
Skipper

Here they are. Note the pdf file is what the measurements were before I did the install. The vacuflush unit, seen in picture 1 was changed from the starboard side to port as it made more sense with plumbing. The fitting on the right in picture 6 is a relief valve for those times when the air vent fails and the pumpout puts too much suction on the tank.

Note: Pictures are from end to start (sorry they were loaded in cronological order)

Attachments:
File comment: The measurement taken before install
Ronco Holding Tank.pdf [12.95 KB]
Downloaded 64 times
File comment: Finished install. I used a 30' bent pipe with a 45' angle cut on the bottom for the pumpout pipe. This sits within 1/2 inch of bottom and allows the pump to remove all but a litre of fluid. The valve on the right is a relief valve to stop the colapse of the tank in pumpout if the air vent gets plugged.
Image00006.jpg
Image00006.jpg [ 165.18 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Image00005.jpg
Image00005.jpg [ 70.06 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Glassed joints on fitted V shaped support frame
Image00004.jpg
Image00004.jpg [ 87.6 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: This the tank before installation Ronco B445
Image00003.jpg
Image00003.jpg [ 45.82 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Image00002.jpg
Image00002.jpg [ 157.81 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Before installation - vacu flush was moved from starboard to port side. This is what is measured in the acrobat file
Image00001.jpg
Image00001.jpg [ 228.48 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010 17:11 
Skipper

Looks pretty much like the tank on Wind Chime. I like the relief valve idea. We've been to some pumpouts lately that really suck (I mean really suck) and the vent doesn't keep up very well. What holds the tank in place?

Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010 17:59 
Skipper

Sorry I guess the final picture is not of the finished install as there is a batton across top on the bulhead forward and one aft of the tank that hold it in place. I was a very tight fit with less than a quarter inch to spare and that is why I attached the measurements in the pdf so you can verify they match yours.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010 16:14 
Skipper

Looks like a great installation. I am envious as we can get about 4 days out of our 19 gallon tank if we're careful. I was hoping to do the same this year before vacation but I bought a bunch of line clutches instead. Maybe next year. Thanks for the clarification and pix.

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2011 15:20 
Skipper

Well with the thought of 10 days with the grandkids on board in Aug. I bit the bullet and joined the 35 gallon club. I also installed the Ronco B-445 tank. A little tricky to work with all the compound angles of the tank and the fact that nothing on the boat is square. I got to the point in the photo in one weekend and that included removing the old tank and some interior partitions. If I had been able to find the hose locally it would all been finished. Anyway I'm looking forward to not having to be the bathroom nazi this year.

Attachment:
File comment: All I need are hoses

Tank2.JPG

Tank2.JPG [ 304.18 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2011 09:30 
Skipper

OK my first question. The PO had changed the port water tank into a holding tank, on our recent delivery the 'stink' was traced to a crack on the bottom of the tank leaking septage into the bilge!!. I took out the tank yesterday, it will be replaced with a new one from Kracor[model 6096] So, I need a new holding tank and will copy the system above by Sord and Ardea. My question, looking at the Ronco drawing it appears the front to back tank measurement is 16 7/8 in The bulkhead to bulkhead on my boat is 14 1/2 in.. Am I in the s**t or do I have the tank dimension wrong, can on of you guys confirm, thanks, Bruce.

Hull #6

Profile Email