Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Refrigeration

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 07:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Refrigeration
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2006 12:57 
Skipper

I know a bunch of T-37's out there already have refrigeration, but I'm losing a battle trying to convince my wife that spending $1500 would be more desirable than buying and hauling ice!!!!
The question is: what systems do you have and what issues have you encountered? I'm am considering the new Fridgoboat Keelcooler.....anybody have this one? Thanks, Tom

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Refrigeration
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2006 15:02 
Skipper

We have an engine-driven holding-plate refer on Rainbow. It works flawlessly, and one hour of motoring in 36 hours keeps the refer cold enough to keep frozen food solid next to the holding plate.

Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2006 07:00 
Skipper

Jay, which holding plate brand do you have? Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2006 18:37 
Skipper

Definately worth that and more. I'll ask the skipper for our info. Our system is about 20 yrs old and still chilliing away with no maintenance.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2006 17:10 
Able Bodied Seaman

I believe that refrigeration is the single biggest luxury on a boat. Our T37's old Adler Barbour system is 20+ years old and still working fine. Replaced an electronic module on it a few years ago.

As you have researched, I am sure you have found that 12V systems are power hogs. In the summer on the Chesapeake, think ours draws 50-60 amps in a 24 hour day. Our house bank is 450 amps. I don't have enough experience with engine driven systems to have an opinion.

Good luck.

Ted

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006 07:17 
Skipper

I am assuming that most boats would have the compressor under the sink area and run the lines under the stove and the into the box.....

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006 18:05 
Skipper

That's how ours is set up. (but they run under the microwave... stove is long gone.)

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2006 16:43 
Midshipman

My Adler Barbour installation has the compressor on a shelf in the cockpit starboard lazerette and the lines running adjacent to the hull behind the stove panel before turning 90 degrees into the referagerator box. The installation was straight forward and the lines are out of sight. In addition, the ventallation in the loacker is probably a little better than underneath the sink, although the engine does heat up the locker somewhat. Jay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006 17:01 
Skipper

My 20 year old Adler Barbour is still working great in the tropics. My story is exactly the same as Jay's-- compressor installed high forward in the starboard lazarette. I have had to replace the electronic module twice in 15 years--once just recently. For others, some of the suppliers will tell you that they do not make the electronic control module anymore. Don't believe them. You just need to get the right number of wires to your model of Danfloss compressor (it is either three or four) and any controller will work. These are not complicated. I had expected this not to work very well in the tropics, but aside from using 70 amps a day (I have 440 amps of golf cart batteries) it has been fine. Have to keep it below 4 to keep from freezing everything in it. Install this where it can breathe. I open the lazarette sometimes at night so that the compressor can get access to cool air. Folks who stick any of these units in a closet with no air are asking for trouble.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2006 20:23 
Skipper

How about extra insulation? Has anyone added any or do you find the factory insulation sufficient?

Profile Email