Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Wet deck!

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 11:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wet deck!
PostPosted: 18 May 2010 15:16 
Skipper

I noticed the year before last a bit of a compression outside the deck where the compression rod goes thru the deck. I had thought it might be wet there but did not check it til yesterday as there was no other signs except for very recent brown stains on the mast down below. Well there's a heck of a lot of a wet core all around the mast collar (once I took off the headliner you could see the centerboard and mainsheet pulleys were compressed underneath) I cut it open from below and removed some rotten and wet plywood. The PO had tried rebedding some of the fittings but you really need to "pot" the bolts which is what I am going to do. The area I cut out is about 21" by 21" and I will be trying to put it together soon with new sealed plywood. I think all the fittings around that area, the mast collar and compression rod have contributed to the problem. My latest survey last fall revealed nothing - go figure. I'll probably finish off the area around the inside with starboard as I had to make some radical cuts to get at things. The bulkhead between the head and salon is tabbed so I didn't take it out but cut part of it away to get at the wet stuff. Might be worth checking with your own boat.

Richard

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Wet deck!
PostPosted: 30 May 2010 11:41 
Rail Meat

What all did you have to do to remove the ceiling in the head? Can you remove the mast collar with the mast in to rebed? Thanks Barry

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 May 2010 18:32 
Skipper

The trim all around the mast needed to come out. This includes the door to the head and some other trim pieces. I just cut some of the headliner out in the bathroom to expose the wet part around the mast. To actually take out that headliner in the bathroom would be harder than I was willing to do. I had to drill out one of the devices which hold the curtain rod holder up and worked around it. I should have taken that down as I got quite a bit of epoxy on it and I don't know if I can get it working right. The headliner that I cut out that will not be put back up is about 17" by 21" - this I will cover with starboard or similiar and put trim around it. Yes the mast collar will slide up and allow you to work on everything (repotting etc) but it was mostly left in place to work around and to make sure I had a good mold made up of wood and fibreglass. I put lots of wax on the collar and had no problems with anything sticking to it. I should have taken pictures but I was stressed enough with having to do fibreglassing upside down. I only really had to use supports for the wood, the cloth was used with thickened epoxy and seemed to hold well - but still messy. If you have to do this I would suggest a drop cloth and wax the mast, the latter I did not do. Any other questions just ask.
Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2010 16:29 
Able Bodied Seaman

On my Tartan (#198) the PO rebuilt the area around the mast due to water intrusion. That having been said, I would not use Starboard nor plywood to rebuild. Resin will not adhere well to the Starboard and marine plywood is treated with chemicals that also retard adhesion. I would suggest Coosa board (aka Penske board); it comes in different densities and is made of fiberglass and resin compounds and is specifically formulated to adhere to fiberglass resin. Saturate the surface well and then apply the impregnated glass.You can also tack it into place with Bondo to get it to stick while the resin "kicks" (catalyzes). You could also use a temporary mechanical fastener or support.

An alternate approach is what I did when I glued a large piece of prelaminated glass (actually, part of an old mold) to the underside of the foredeck for a support for my windlass using Crestomer. The adhesive kicked in twenty minutes and the bond is stronger than the glass itself. So, you could prelaminate glass to fit your affected area and then bond it in place with Crestomer or Plexus. No mess and a great bond and nothing will ever rot (no wood).

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2010 13:58 
Able Bodied Seaman

I had the same thing happen and it got really bad. Finally had to grind all the rotted ply wood out and go back with high density foam. Since then no leaks. I didn't take out anything in the head as that was still solid. Had to do away with the old head liner and went back with a different material. I have pictures if I can figure out to copy and past them into the message

Profile Email