Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Davits Questions

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 07:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Davits Questions
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015 20:46 
Skipper

T37Chef, the 10 dinghy doesn't hang out too far on the sides? I'm not near the boat and trying to figure out the biggest dinghy I can reasonably fit on,

thanks

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015 12:37 
Grinder

We hang an 8+ foot dingy on our davits and I consider it to a little to wide. Can't tell you how many times I've clipped it and as I've mention before it make a whopping effect on the weather helm when there is any significant wind on the the beam. Our work around is to take down the main in any wind over 20kts.

T37 #31
Abraxas

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2015 10:16 
Skipper

Dave,
If you are indeed going to remove the top section of rail at the ladder area, I would strongly suggest adding a strap to take the outward thrust from the davits to prevent this from being an issue here's a shot of what I did, very inexpensive to buy a stainless strap and take it to a metal shop near you where they can bend it.

Tom
Attachment:
File comment: Zoom in past the wheel and you can see the flat strap

summer '09 cruise 061.jpg

summer '09 cruise 061.jpg [ 1.63 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015 14:43 
Skipper

I have just purchased (at a great price) some davits but when I went to install them I had an issue with the transom. The davits clamp to the upper rail at the top and to the transom at the lower plate. The transom 'oil cans' with a small amount of weight as it seems very thin on the upper half of the transom. I am thinking of reinforcing the transom from the inside with multiple layers of 6 mil (1/4 ") 'baltic birch' and West System epoxy. Does this condition exist on all T37s and how have you over come it?

FYI
- My stainless rails extend to almost the front of the cockpit but the upper is split at the boarding ladder. I have a lot of leverage with this set up.

Thanks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015 16:23 
Able Bodied Seaman

I have had experience with the trailing arm system called Dinghy Tow, it was on a near by boat one winter not perfect but very quick to launch and pull up for the evening. In rough seas the sway back and forth was a concern so in that instance the outboard was removed to make the weight (inertia) less. The user needs to climb up and over the stern by standing on the trailing arms so some agility is needed. He made up his own arms and rope tackle, figured about $400 all in.

Profile Email