Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Davits Questions

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 23 Apr 2024 19:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Davits Questions
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006 17:43 
Able Bodied Seaman

This davit installation looks great. The photo helps a lot. I can see the bottom of the dink looks high enough off the water and doesn't seem so high that it obstructs the view much looking aft from the cockpit.

I think your Dyer dink probably weighs about the same as my Trinka. Are you satisfied with the strength of this hook up? Did it have much effect on the trim of the boat? I'm a little bow down with all chain rode and wouldn't mind a small amount of effect.

What brand are the davits? If they come in sizes, both height and "stand-off", what do you have? Looks like yours is just right.

Thanks for the photo.

Ted

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006 17:49 
Skipper

Hint: If the attachment is a jpg or gif then it will show up as a pic without downloading. Not much compression when zipping an image anyway so feel free to upload the image itself. Then you get a thumbnail. Click the thumb for the full size.
(Just tweaked the settings a bit so it looks better.)
i.e.

Attachments:
P1010013-1.JPG
P1010013-1.JPG [ 1.65 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2006 17:08 
Midshipman

I installed St. Croix davits. My dinghy is a Pelican Scorpio (115 lbs) which the davits manage just fine. However, with the addition of a 5 hp Honda outboard, I've got more weight than I'd like on the transom. I had a Zodiac Cadet at one time, but age and a 130 pound English Mastiff ruined the Zodiac. Attached is a picture of davit and mastiff. Jay
Attachment:
Davit.jpg

Davit.jpg [ 115.15 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2006 20:37 
Skipper

My davits are from Forespar. I had a local welder make me two stainless steel straps that go from the stern rail down to the fiberglass coaming behind the helmsman seat which takes the load off of the rail. The dinghy rides high enough off of the water, but if you keep the engine on, it may drag when healed. The one thing I have to do is to tie off the dink from swinging under way. I love the davits so far and when anchored down at night, the dink is safe up high and does not bang against the hull. Cheers

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2007 14:44 
Rail Meat

We have Kato Marine davits on Windchime, and we love them.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2007 20:46 
Skipper

Davit is in...look for a few photos soon if I can figure how to reduce them Frustrating
Looks good as it can, I am not in love with it (the look) but I know we will enjoy the convenience

Most of the install was easy with the exception of getting those pesky nuts on the bolts Rant

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2007 19:01 
Skipper

Our davit (Garhauer) has been on for 4 months now. The biggest PITA has been fitting the dingy (10' Avon RIB) with the proper sized cables to attach to the davit. I am currently using cables and carabineers. Suggestions?

As for the davit itself, it has been some getting used too. Some downsides...docking is allot harder, cant see behind as well, sitting in the sun all the time (need to fit a sunbrella cover), makes a nice kite when the wind kicks up and you forget to secure it Frustrating .

Ups...easy as heck to deploy, makes a nice place to dry things: D , added security, can see forward Wink, dingy stays inflated (good) . It doesn?t weight the back down as excepted...except when motoring above 2000. (I do not have an all chain rode either)

Tartan Shawn

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2007 12:44 
Able Bodied Seaman

Since my engine is calling for attention, davits are not on the drawing board this winter; but, would like the benefit of your experiences. When we made a trip South a few years ago, big tidal currents, wind and tight spots made for some challenging docking situations(spoiled here on the Chesapeake). Have wondered if I would have had problems if I had had the dink in davits in that any dink is going to be wider than the transom of our boats(ours is a 8' Trinka). Thoughts about this?

Windchime37, did you get Kato's BayII or Island davits? I like the clean lines of the BayII; do you think it would be up to the job? Did you have to get any of their special fittings to install?Do you have any pics of your set up?

Thanks for the feedback.

Tartan37403

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2007 20:39 
Skipper

I have a dinghy-tow ( www.dinghy-tow.com ). After a few minor problems I now have a pretty good handle on using it and it works pretty good. We traveled downwind in 6-8 foot following seas on Lake Huron for 13 hours and had no problems. I am not sure about offshore ocean sailing but they are an option and are extremely easy to deploy the dink.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2011 12:03 
Rail Meat

I like my Martek davits. I built my own crossbrace with the intention of mounting a solar panel on it. Don't have solar yet, but now I think it would be safer above the bimini. I've started backing into my slip to avoid shallow water just a boat length away.

Attachments:
P7100182.JPG
P7100182.JPG [ 405.71 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

S/V Dragonfly, T37 #249

Profile Email