Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Offshore prep

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 04:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Offshore prep
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2009 11:53 
Midshipman

Under another thread, Tortuga questioned mods and improvements to prepare T37's for offshore sailing. I realize that various aspects of this discussion have already taken place within these pages, but A) it's winter here in Ohio B) I have offshore sailing on my mind and C) there's not been enough activity on this site recently to satisfy my thirst for information.

I intend to take Kinsale from Lake Erie in 2010, through the NY canals/rivers to the east coast, and in 2011 head to Bermuda and then the Caribbean. Since I won't yet be fully retired, my plan is to use the boat as a vacation home for two weeks at a time. In five years time, I hope to spend at least a month at a stretch. I'm comfortable singlehanding this boat, and expect that some of the offshore passages will be solo. My wife is only happy daysailing, and my kids don't understand the allure of sailing although I'm sure they would come visit once a year in exotic locations; if only for the free accomodations. It's for those reasons that I'm satisfied with the size of the T37. If there were always going to be in excess of two aboard, it would be too small for my sanity.

I have two winters to prep the boat. I intend to add, not in any particular order, an electric windlass, replace the ports with stainless, replace the hatches, add a mast track and storm trysail, bring main reefing to the cockpit, replace lifelines with uncoated wire and move gates to mid ship, windvane steering, high volume manual bilge pump, figure out where to keep the liferaft, upgrade the dc distribution panel, increase battery capacity and possibly relocate them from qtr berth, replace running rigging, get an AIS receiver and SSB, and upgrade the nav instruments.

I have radar (older Raytheon still works well), added wheelpilot in 2008 which would be a backup to windvane, sails are good (tempted to add another light sail option on removable furler), engine has been checked and is fine. I need to scrutinize the standing rigging.

I don't have my list in front of me so I'm probably forgetting some projects. Many of the improvements I intend to make have already been discussed and even documented on this website. I will attempt to document what I do in the event anyone is interested. I'm in the midst of rebedding my deck hardware right now. So far I've only removed the headliner.

I have prepared a budget but it's still evolving. I will share it with the group once I get it finalized, and again after I get it completed. There will likely be some casualties among the projects in order to keep the spend at a level I'm comfortable with. I paid $45k for the boat 2 years ago, and figure when I'm done with upgrades I would have been hard pressed to get as good a boat for the same money I will have invested. I have a couple acquaintances who cross oceans regularly, and I'm trying to heed one of their primary cautions, which is to resist the temptation to gold plate or bulletproof the boat before you venture out.

I'm making all the improvements with my own labor, and welcome all the free advice you care to send my way.

Finally, Doug Sterrett is a friend of mine and the link to his website chronicling his circumnavigation is on the home page of this website. It's not fully up and running, but please check it out during the next year. It should prove interesting to follow his adventure.

Warm regards,

Doug
Kinsale #22

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Offshore prep
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2009 21:32 
Rail Meat

looking forward to your posts

curious about your light wind sail thoughts (tempted to add another light sail option on removable furler)

what are your plans for off-wind sailing?

i have thru trial and error been getting comfortable with using a symmetrical spinnaker as a cruising spinnaker; solo last saturday i managed it very smoothly with great effect for four hours beginning in light calm and ending in fresh breeze; have snuffer, tacked it to rolled up jib with tacker knock-off and controlling tack height with spare halyard and a down haul to a bow cleat; winged main to windward running to keep spinnaker drawing in light wind, jibed spinnaker without snuffing, broad reached at up to 7.3knots, then turned downwind and snuffed and doused spinnaker in shadow of main (on autopilot); was very pleased with myself

running in light wind with no pole to pull spinnaker to windward of main, spinnaker collapses unless i sheet main to centerline or wing it out to windward

i have no spinnaker pole nor whisker pole

am thinking of a mast stowed whisker to pole out jib or genoa in heavier weather or night when i would not want to use spinnaker

i don't know anything about removable furler options but i wonder if stowing might be a hassle or space occupier; look forward to any info you post regarding this

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2009 21:35 
Midshipman

Mfeiertag,
Check out the Facnor website to view a clip of their furler. It looks pretty slick, and would stow in a spin bag, so storing it isn't a problem. I haven't really spent much time researching them, but intend to in the next couple of months. I'll keep you posted.
I'm sure you would be a lot happier with your sym spin using a pole rather than flying it like an asym. I haven't yet worked up the courage to fly my sym by myself, but I hope to. I rely on my asym when soloing, but it has it's limits and the wind tends to conspire against me.

Anybody know a good source of companionway boards or doors? I think someone posted that they made replacement boards using thicker material. That sounds like a good offshore improvement to my original boards. Permanently attached, hinged doors would seem to be a nice improvement if properly designed. I thnk I saw some examples on other Tartans listed on Yachtworld when I was boat shopping a couple years ago.

Doug

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2009 18:53 
Able Bodied Seaman

Regarding companionway boards, I recently replaced mine with solid teak new ones. They are thicker than the previous (as there is room) and I also went from three boards to four; more options, easier to stow and also easier to get over if you leave one or two in place in rough weather.

If one makes doors, you may want to think about reinforcing them with some kind of backing stick/board so that if a following sea comes in they don't burst open going inward (even if made to open out). This happened on my parents Carib 41 many years ago in a tropical depression (unexpected) and the whole cabin was swamped with several feet of water. The doors latch and jamb just couldn't compete with a wave that also bent a stanchion.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2009 17:42 
Skipper

I fabricated new boards the first year we had her with solid 1" teak with a double rabbet joint between boards to keep them watertight. Worked out well. I have thought about making removable lexan/plexiglass hinged doors to use while cruising around the bay which allows light below and easier to get in and out more quickly. If they are on snap apart hinges the plexiglass panels would be thin enough to stow beneath a cushion.
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009 07:10 
Able Bodied Seaman

Our boat has 1/4" Lexan boards, three separate pieces. I made an aluminum bar to restrain them vertically on the starboard bulkhead in the cockpit when removed. Single rabbit for joints. Lasted twice around, so I suppose it was a good investment.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2009 21:15 
Rail Meat

doug,

i checked facnor website re asym spin furler -- nice

where would you attach the furler ?

michael feiertag

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2009 21:42 
Rail Meat

re companionway, i have

1. drop boards (3)

2. a thick (lightly insulated therefore stiffened a bit) sunbrella curtain secured with 3 snaps at hatch cover and 2 snaps at bottom of companionway; rolled up it stays between the open hatch and spray hood; works alone or with boards or doors

3. doors (louvered)

the boat is behind my house where security is not a big concern and i use the curtain most of the time -- curtain is most convenient and with dodger keeps most weather out

drop boards for storms or to lock up boat

doors lock and can be covered by curtain if weather warrants

doors are inconvenient; being full length they open only as wide as cockpit seats allow, swing open and shut as boat heels or rocks; doors could be opened fully and secured to bulkhead only if made partial height to clear seats (closing with drop board below doors); are easily removed and stored in hanging locker but on extended cruise may not want to sacrifice even the little space they occupy; doors were in use when i acquired the boat and i used them for a while but now i never use them except in a marina if women are aboard

i think for offshore use that drop boards and curtain would give flexibility, easy use and stowage (3 boards are lighter and more compact that doors), and safety (could be hit by swinging door)

michael

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2009 06:51 
Skipper

Michael.....
Great suggestion about the sunbrella cover. This would be a great idea for really keeping the drop board weather tight, especially if you are expecting a major storm and did not have the dodger up. The downside would be if youhad to get below in a real hurry and you had both the canvas and the borads in place.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009 16:59 
Able Bodied Seaman

Regarding the canvas "doorway", my companionway has a canvas cover, attached at the top to the sliding hatch and with two sets of two snaps down the sides. It also has a screen inset so that once can have the screen in place when you want so me air to pass through (the solid part rolls up and is fastened at the top with additional snaps).

As for rapid ingress or egress, you simply grab the bottom of the panel and pull up and out, all in one move and you have complete access. So, not really an impediment. It was useful to keep out spray and cold when out in the Gulf yet allow one to quickly hand out vital things such as a warm cup of soup or a wake-me-up cup of coffee (maybe one of the most important safety items known to human kind).

By the way, how do I post the pdf with all of the Westerbeke parts and schematics....anyone know?

Profile Email