Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - ST6002 S1 Wheel Pilot

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 15:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ST6002 S1 Wheel Pilot
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009 14:40 
Skipper

My Tartan 37 has no autopilot. Although I may want something most robust when I go offshore about 85% of our time will be spent in inland waters. I was wondering who among you have Raymarine Wheel Pilots and could give me your opinion on their performance.
It is rated at 18,700Lbs of displacement which boarders the top end when full of fuel and water. The price is right if it performs well.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: ST6002 S1 Wheel Pilot
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009 15:51 
Able Bodied Seaman

I'll let you know in the next two weeks. Mine just arrived and I'll be heading out next month for some local sailing. I'm also heading offshore for three days in April, which should really put it through it's paces. Thus far, the installation is going well; but I think it's easier with an instrument pod to have ready access to the controls.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009 18:53 
Midshipman

Mike,
I installed the Raymarine S1 Wheelpilot last August. I had a very old Benmar belowdecks which gave up the ghost about two weeks before I was to participate in a 275nm singlehand race on Erie. I honestly didn't want a wheel pilot, but thought it was the only way I was going to make the start line that quick. I consoled myself with the thought that it could be a nice backup to a belowdecks if and when I add one.
It took me a weekend to install it. I put about 450 miles on it solo last year, mostly under sail, and it worked flawlessly. To be fair, it never had to handle too difficult of conditions. Worst we saw was wind in mid to upper 20's, waves maybe 5 to 7. It did do a good job steering for me during a stretch where I had my asym spin jammed in the sock about 2/3 deployed, and shortly thereafter when I decided to give the sail a good fresh water rinse.
It may be in my head, or it could be I need to tweak the setup, but I think the wheel 'drags' slightly when the autopilot is not engaged. It should allow the wheel to turn freely, but I think there is some friction. It's not very detectable, and a couple of my buddies think I'm imagining it.
It has worked so well that I'm not as committed to a belowdeck unit. I intend to head offshore with Kinsale in 2010, and will add a windvane. The vane and wheelpilot may be all I need.

Doug
Kinsale

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009 13:48 
Skipper

I'll second what Doug said about the drag, mine feels that it drags just a bit. I have a Raymarine 4000+ (rated 18,500#) wheel pilot that I bought as temporary pilot to use while I saved up for a below deck, also thinking that it would be used as a backup. I have had mine for four seasons and it has been great on the Chesapeake. When it pipes up, I usually hand steer mainly because it's more fun! Rail in the water and all...
The wheel pilot draws about half the amperage as a below deck, but does not have the long distance capabilities. If I were only going off shore for a short period, I would feel comfortable with just the wheel, but for long-term cruising, spend the money on a reliable below deck or a wind-vane pilot. Our Tartans balance out nicely so a wind vane should work well; although, you'll be sacrificing the entire transom space for it (no ladder/davit)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009 16:01 
Able Bodied Seaman

Tortuga is right on the money there. We have a first generation Aries that took Persephone around the world twice. Absolutely magnificent. But boy does it take up real estate on the transom. Since it bolts onto a frame, I'm debating about having 'hot swappable' davits, so when we're coastal, we can remove the vane body & blades, then install davits instead.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009 09:25 
Skipper

Anastasis:
What systems do you have on Persephone for your circumnavigations? Is Persephone a deep-keel or C/B? How do you feel about using our Tartans for long-distant cruising? Pro's-con's?
Thanks,
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2009 11:09 
Midshipman

I also installed a Raymarine S1 wheel pilot. It works well. For offshore use, I'd consider a Scanmar Monitor windvane that is easily removable and swings out so as to not interfere with a boarding ladder. Jay

Profile Email