Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - access to port locker

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 18:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: access to port locker
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009 19:30 
Skipper

Access to storage in the stern port area is only thru the quarter berth which is limited in size. Has anyone tried to get at it from the top from a modification to the cockpit port seat. It's a bit of room if you could get at it.

Richard

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: access to port locker
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009 21:14 
Skipper

I am not sure there is as much room in there as you might think. The quarter berth takes up just about everything under the seat. When I went cruising this was a dandy place to store stuff I did not use often, like fenders. I think I saw a Tartan where someone had put a round access port on the floor there-but looking at mine, I can't figure out where that was.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009 16:54 
Skipper

I don't know if I would call this area a locker Very Happy It's more like a cavern that you have to don the spelunking gear to access.
I did think of cutting a scuttle hole at the foot of the quarterberth, but there are a few obstacles there, one being the exhaust hosing.
I agree that this is a tremendous amount of space that could be better utilized.
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2009 22:41 
Skipper

How about one of those rectangle "access hatches" such as http://www.tempress.com/index.php?cPath=12_68 The biggest ones should allow bigger objects down and hopefully seal well.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2009 10:36 
Rail Meat

I did put a 13 x 30 cm hatch into the port side cockpit seat on a 25 ft O'Day to allow access to the quarter berth from the cockpit. Pluses, did give good access. also would let in quite a bit of light if you were working on the engine and opened that hatch. Cons. Locking the hatch, I did get one that had key locks on the cams and they lasted about a month before they stripped or something, can turn key 360 degrees with nothing happening. Other times has locked, and been unable to get unlocked until I finally forced cam to turn. So not the most secure system. Additionally, I have a leak which I've been unable to fully eliminate despite sealing, removing the hatch, reseating it after resealing, etc, etc, etc. I had 1 inch high density foam cockpit cushions and you could tell the hatch was there when you sat on it, Not uncomfortable, just noticable, especially along the ends.

So, would I do it again? Depends. I obviously have upgraded to our Tartan so way more storage than on the O'Day. Also, I'm a weekender, inland lake sailor so I don't need to store volumes of supplies. So you have to look at your needs.

If you decide to go ahead with it, good luck, hope it works well.

Keith

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2009 22:07 
Skipper

I think this brand would be a better option if I was going to do it http://www.freemanmarine.com/Hatches2400Summary.htm

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2009 17:01 
Midshipman

My thoughts on accessing this space was to enter through the end of the quarter berth. I was thinking of putting up some netting to hold everything back from the shaft and other moving parts. Then cutting access through bulkhead and installing a water tight hatch. If the bottom of it was just below the height of the cushion, I think you could even crawl into the space a bit.

It's on the list but below many other mods...

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009 20:19 
Skipper

Has anyone actually cut through the cockpit seat over the quarter berth (port side behind nav station) to install either a lazerette or a deck hatch? Confused
I am actually considering cutting mine like the starboard lazerette. It would mean some glass work to create the weatherproof seal but it would give great access. I would then create a bulkhead about 18" behind the nav seat and it would have an access door to the storage area as well. Idea

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009 01:40 
Skipper

So give up the quarterberth in trade for a mirror image of the starboard locker? It's certainly possible, but I can't see having need for that much of what I call "dirty storage". I guess it all depends on your needs.

I do like the other ideas for access from the quarterberth to the aft spaces. I have need to get to the gauges and the shore power and I'm putting it off due to memories of the contortions accomplished when I replaced out fuel cutoff line. Access from there and a well placed cargo net could provide a good deep storage as well. (for the things you need to have, but not often and not at the ready.) For instance, we have bumpers in the STBD locker that come out a couple times a year when we cruise. Even then, we'll use 2, but we have 5 that come out of the locker every time I need to work on the engine.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009 06:28 
Skipper

I would venture to say that if we are honest about it most quarter berths are just used for storage. Access to that storage being through the area behind the nav station. I intend to liveaboard and head south so storage for folding bicycles, fenders, extra rode etc will be important.

Profile Email