Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hard Dodger...anyone done it?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 16:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hard Dodger...anyone done it?
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014 12:04 
Skipper

looks really nice! Cheers

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014 00:47 
Skipper

Right on with the hard dodger. A question for Solen: isn't offshore when a dodger comes into its' own? I can see doing w/o on a tranquil day sail, but when the spray is flying and it's blowing a gail, this wimp wants to be tucked into the forward corner(s) of the cockpit in the shelter of said dodger.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2018 07:19 
Skipper

I know this is an old thread, but I'm enamored with the hard dodger. The reason you might drop the dodger offshore . . . had a boarding wave in a headsea in the Anegada Passage take out a heavy-duty dodger on a Jeanneau 54 DS. It was night, not scary rough but deep troughs motoring dead into it, occasional green water over the bow, no indication the wave was coming. Boom. Trashed. Snuggling in a corner of that would have meant being briefly trapped.

I was looking for "hard dodger" info and now, thinking back, I don't know. It would have to be bulletproof to the extent possible. The dodger on the boat we're going for is new, but is a bit (a foot?) short of clearing the aft end of the boom and forcing you to duck down. Wife pointed out if the connector to the bimini was in place from the cloth dodger, and you were standing in the right spot (you'd have to have your head pushing up on the connector), you wouldn't see the boom crossing and it might be hazardous.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2018 07:07 
Skipper

Wow. I read the thread a little closer. I met Eric Freedman (he was some kind of jeweler in NY) when he brought his Tartan 37 . . . "Kimberlite" . . . to the Virgin Islands back around 2000 or so. For a big guy, he did some heavy sailing. Brought his Amel over from France, as I recall.

I honestly can't remember the dodger, but I do recall he had that boat rigged out for heavy weather and crew comfort. I had been looking at a Tartan 30 for playing in the V.I. and simply turned away when I looked at the chainplate configuration (same angled, kinda winky setup for the aft plate). So I cheered Eric on and didn't make any comments. He told me he spent some ridiculous amount of $$ on the refit. Within a year he was back at the dock at AYH with a spanky new Amel. You could eat off the floor in the engine room. And talk about a hard dodger. Haven't heard from "Kimberlite" in over 10 years. I hope he's doing well.

But the white dodger pictured previously, to me, is a work of art. True craftsman (which gives me, a chainsaw barn carpenter, pause). Nice curves and transitions. But is it tough enough, having a styrofoam base, to take a boarding wave without shattering back onto the helm? Is that even worth considering? And, still, that damn boom end is right in the wrong place in the cockpit when crossing.

Profile Email