Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Cockpit enclosure ???

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 08:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cockpit enclosure ???
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2008 22:15 
Rail Meat

Has anyone installed a full cockpit enclosure? If so, was it custom built? I have been freezing on our way down the ICW this fall - and envying the other boats' enclosures. Any info or experience with these for our boats?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Cockpit enclosure ???
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2008 07:29 
Skipper

Senara,
We had one built for Tortuga's Lie in 2007 and love it. We can sit nice and dry in the most severe storms (short of a tropical storm/hurricane) and it has become another room. The enclosure was built by a firm in Deltaville, Va and they did a fantastic job everything fit perfectly and the roll-up panels are easy to remove although storage is a pain (they take up half of the quarter berth). The downside apart from the expense is the somewhat bulky appearance, but I don't think that's too bad. See pics below.
Click on photos for better resolution.
Tom
Attachment:
File comment: Storm in Annapolis harbor last summer.

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg [ 1.58 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Dinner in a storm

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg [ 1.6 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Sailing with the panels rolled up

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg [ 1.33 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2008 07:43 
Skipper

Some more pics....
Attachment:
File comment: Profile of the bimini set-up

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg [ 1.42 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: From above

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg [ 1.31 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2008 10:56 
Rail Meat

Wow - this looks great! We live in the Hampton Roads area, so Deltaville is local cruising grounds for us. Can you provide the name and contact information of the company that built this for you? Also, do you mind sharing the approximate cost? This is a project we will definitely need to have done next "budget year." The salad and potato don't look too bad either! Thank you Tom.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2008 12:00 
Skipper

Senara,
We used The Ship's Tailor. The mans name who did the install is Jack. I don't have the number handy but a quick Google search will get it for you. They built the dodger(I already had the frame), bimini with frame, connector panel, full enclosure and a new mainsail cover for approx $4500+/-. I don't know if they would be higher today or not, but with the economy being kind of iffy these days.....????
They built our old dodger which lasted about twelve years before contracting them to build the news stuff. We are very happy with their work and they are consistantly voted among the best of the bay in Chesapeake Bay magazine.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2008 17:09 
Rail Meat

Thanks again - I will be in touch with him this spring/summer so we can be ready for fall sailing next year. Cheers

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009 20:57 
Able Bodied Seaman

On Tortuga's Lie, how are the Eisenglass panels attached at the bottom edge to the hull; snaps?

The installation looks great and I like the price, maybe here in Florida I can find someone as reasonable.

Falco

Vanora #198

PS We had a great sail over New Year's. On Saturday we sailed the entire day at about 6 knots with the asymmetrical up as we sailed out into the Gulf of Mexico in order to round the mouth of Tampa Bay.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009 07:18 
Skipper

Falco,
The bottom is fastened with snaps which hold very well and are lower profile than the twist type of fasteners. The enclosure has really become another room that we use quite a bit, almost removing any reason to move up to a larger boat!!! Snicker ....and at a much lower cost!
So, you had to rub it in about sailing on New Years while the rest of us are huddled by the fireplace.......... Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009 08:15 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thanks for the answer regarding the snaps...If they hold well, that is good because, as you note, they are likely to be a little more comfortable when you bump into them.

I like the concept of being able to sit in the cockpit sans bugs, rain or, in the summer with AC going, without humidity. No AC yet but a dockside model may be in order.

Falco

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2014 12:07 
Midshipman

Among my winter projects is building a cockpit enclosure. I am still in the design stages. Looking at the photos posted here (which, by the way, are great and very helpful), I noticed that the aft section of the enclosure consists of 3 panels. I was at first thinking of just 2 but like the look of yours. Are you happy with it? I assume you used the aft coaming for the bottom snaps? Did the backstay cause any problems in terms of cut outs or zippers?

Profile Email