Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Anchor Windless

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 07:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anchor Windless
PostPosted: 17 May 2008 11:49 
Rail Meat

I am contemplating installing an anchor windless on my
Tartan 37. I would be interested in hereing feedback from other owners so to type and make of unit that others have used. I currently use a C.Q.R. 35# anchor with 5/6" chain and rope rode. My anchor rack is installed at an angle to the starboard side. Any help would be appreciated.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Anchor Windless
PostPosted: 18 May 2008 09:05 
Skipper

Moving this to custom mods. Help/Suggestions forum is in regards to the website itself.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 May 2008 08:09 
Skipper

A couple of years ago, I put a Quick Antares 1000 windlass and so far so good. This windlass was a great price from Marisafe(dot)com. I'm glad I installed it, It's a real backsaver. I have a 35# Delta and all chain rode, so it really helps. To help clean the Cheasapeke muck, I also installed a deck wash near by with the pump in the port locker in the v-berth. If you don't have wiring already installed, make sure you size it properly, otherwise, you run the risk of damaging the motor or overheating the wire and causing a fire. Also, I put a chain stopper on to take the force off of the windlass and I also use a snubber with a chain hook.
Hope this helps, Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2008 21:12 
Midshipman

Installed a Lewmar Concept Electric Windlass. No problems. Jay.

Attachments:
File comment: Lewmar Concept Windlass
fb05.jpg
fb05.jpg [ 125.1 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2008 05:47 
Skipper

Jay, Nice job. You may want to add a strip of teak as a sacrificial board under the length of chain to protect your deck.
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2008 02:04 
Skipper

A piece of Starboard works well to protect the deck.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2010 01:06 
Midshipman

Tom,
I know it's an old post, but I was wondering how the Quick windlass has performed for you?

Thanks

Doug
Kinsale #22

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010 11:50 
Able Bodied Seaman

I, too, installed a Lewmar Concept One windlass on the foredeck. I did place a strong piece of fiberglass (pre-made, about 1/2" thick) under the windlass so as to strengthen the deck where the bolts pass through. As the stress is rotational in the direction of the bow and I didn't want the deck to buckle if ever really strained, the piece I made is about six inches wide and about eighteen inches long installed longitudinally. I used a strong adhesive to get the piece attached to the underside of the deck. Nasty grinding while inside the locker well to get the surface cleaned-up for proper adhesion. The adhesive was like Plexus, often used by boat builders to bond in stringers.

No problems when in use. I do have a Group 27 battery dedicated to the windlass and it is placed right underneath the honeymoon board in that storage area at the aft end of the forward berth. I think 0 gauge or 00 gauge wires were used to prevent over heating. Also, the short run is critical. My solar panels keep it all charged up and there is a special shunt that directs power to the windlass battery only after the house batteries are charged.

If anyone needs photos, zap me a note. The gypsy bought by the previous owner was for chain only but I thought 300 feet of chain in the bow was a bit much so I have converted to a line and chain combo. Unfortunately, this requires me to manually jump the shackle over the gypsy and, until I get something spliced in, I can't run it straight down into the chain locker but, having the electric motor assistance is a great thing on windy days.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010 19:01 
Skipper

Don't want to hijack this thread, but if anyone is interested in a story of "How I Destroyed My Windlass" I can post some pictures. Hint: Get the recommended chain stopper, Do not back down on the windlass to set your hook, use the stopper or a chain hook, and I now use the windlass only to pick up the chain, not to break out the anchor or pull the boat up to it. Maybe some of them are built differently, but I got very acquainted with the inner bearings of my "heavy duty" windlass over the winter and realized the warnings in the instructions have a real basis.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010 22:50 
Able Bodied Seaman

Velera, what was the brand/type of windlass with which you had the problems? Good idea on the chain stopper.

Profile Email