Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - What prop do you have on your boat?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 14:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

What prop are you running ? And if you changed it, please tell us why as well as your experiances with the new one.
Fixed 2 blade 29%  29%  [ 9 ]
Fixed 3 blade 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Folding 2 blade 22%  22%  [ 7 ]
Folding 3 blade 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Auto feathering 2 blade 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Auto feathering 3 blade 38%  38%  [ 12 ]
Prop? What prop, engine hasn't run in years! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 31
 Post subject: What prop do you have on your boat?
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008 20:49 
Midshipman

I'm half thinking about changing out the prop on SOLARE and am wondering what others are running.

I currently have a 2 blade fixed. I'm very pleased with the forward motoring performance as well as don't feel it to be much drag under sail, but reverse is a different story. I can stop forward motion fine, but really cant control her direction in reverse. I can use the prop walk to go to port, but going to starboard not really an option.

Thanks!
Glenn

SOLARE #442

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: What prop do you have on your boat?
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008 05:54 
Skipper

On "Tortuga" we have a folding two blade Martec that came with the boat. Like Solare, forward motion is great, but reverse is somewhat tenuous.....sometimes she goes to port, sometimes straight, sometimes starboard....its a mystery. I try and ascertain whether or not its due to wind/current, but the correlation doesn't hold. The "regular" prop walk is to port.
On my wish list would be a feathering three blade, but I can't justify the $$$$ for the little gain. Maybe once the rest of the list gets checked off... Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008 21:59 
Skipper

I have had a Kiwi feathering prop http://www.kiwiprop.us/ for 2 seasons and am very happy with it. I paid $1250.00 US for it (it's gone up $50.00) and also ordered a spare blade. The backing is oh so much more civilized now and I can stop on a dime (which actually saved me from some unmarked rocks!) I still get a bit of prop walk but it is probably 75% less.

Richard
Salvation

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008 11:47 
Midshipman

I currently have a SeaHawk 2-blade geared folding prop. My Martec folding prop wore out after 6 years and 2000 hours of motoring. The Martec recommended the SeaHawk made in Australia and sized it to suit the Westerbeke 50 and the rpm that we tend to use. I feel this prop has increased our cruise speed by 1/2 knot for a given rpm.

I have never had a problem with stopping using a folding prop. Of course controlling your forward speed is the key.

I took me several years of docking and un-docking, and anchoring to get the boat to reverse under control. It can be done. It requires constant control of rudder, rpm, and in-and-out of gear.

I never try turning into the wind when docking. With the wind more than about 10 knots it is just not possible. Always use the wind to your advantage. I live on a canal that is 100 feet wide with boats and docks taking up to 25 feet from each side. I have to turn the boat almost within it's own length each time. Then I back up to the dock most times.

Jerry Haller
JAMMIN'

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2009 23:08 
Rail Meat

just returned from yard after bottom job

changed prop from fixed 3 blade 16x14 to a MaxProp classic 3 blade 16x13

forward propulsion good, seems like needs an extra 100-200 rpm to cruise at same speeds; multiple variables such as newly faired and painted bottom, currents, head winds so hard to say; it seemed faster and smoother with same temperature cruising 200rpm higher than before

used reverse for just a few seconds and it was clearly more effective at stopping; i suspect prop walk will be less as improved reverse propulsion will require fewer turns of the prop; i may miss the prop walk which i often used to advantage but will adapt maneuvering tactics to new handling properties

sailing: to feather i shifted to reverse and back to neutral and there was no shaft rotation for the rest of the day; with fixed prop over 6 knots especially with surges in speed i would feel the shaft spinning if in neutral or turblulence if in gear and this was all eliminated with MaxProp; cannot be certain but may have been faster; am told that reduced turbulence over a large portion of the rudder will make the rudder more effective -- will have to induce weather helm to evaluate but briefly sailing hard on the wind it seemed like it may have been an improvement

btw, MaxProp just lowered price to undercut Variprop and other competition

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2009 21:45 
Rail Meat

We have the two blade folding Martec. I have a very easy slip to get in and out of, however, when the wind blows from the North, pushing me into the dock, it's almost impossible to get her to back out and get pointed into the wind. The prop walk helps at first pulling the stern down, but as soon as the bow clears the dock, it's blown down wind and I end up backing "up wind" out to the main fairway.
Impossible to get any control in tight spaces in reverse. Prop walk and wind always overpower the rudder. It's a game of in and out of gear (FNR) with copious throttle to mussel her in reverse. Finesse does not work unless you have a lot of time and space to play with.
She's a great sailboat, but can be a handfull in tight spaces under power. High winds and current in harbor can make it quite a thrill ride.

S/V Sundog #207

Profile Email