Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New Mainsail???

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 24 Apr 2024 07:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Mainsail???
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2008 06:30 
Skipper

Has anyone recently bought a new main for the T37? I am in search of a sailmaker that can supply me with a great cruising sail at a reasonable price. I don't mind paying a little more if the quality warrants it, but on the other hand I don't want to pay more than necessary Shocked
I'm in the mid-Chesapeake region, but buying online is not out of the question since the T37 is well known.
Any advice is helpful as well as any sailmakers to avoid........Thanks!!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: New Mainsail???
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2008 20:15 
Midshipman

I am in the middle of the purchase of a new main and jib. I am working with a Rock Hall, MD based sailmaker, Meade Breeze. Thus far the experience has been fantastic. We sat down in his loft and discussed the options I was interested in and the sailing we do. He has been doing this for much longer that I have been sailing. I went with a full batten, loose footed main with two reef points cut a bit deeper than normal. With Sailman batten cars and a Dutchman system. The price was right in line with a quote I got from a large Annapolis sail loft.

The Genoa is going to be a 137% to 140% with a foam luff, draft stripe, Sunbrella UV and #6 luff tape.

Both sails are crosscut, "constructed using the highest quality Dacron made in the US", and hand finished.

I placed the order in mid-February and Meade said the sails will be ready by April 30th! I can't wait. The main and 180% Genoa were on their last legs and I still loved they way the boat sailed. I'll let you know how things turn out and let me know if you want to come by for a look or a sail.

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2008 13:17 
Skipper

I am buying from Mack Sails in Stuart. I ordered a new full battened main (three reef points, the last making it a trysail size) with the strong track system for the mast. I also ordered the Mack stack pack since I do not have any sort of lazy jacks. The roach I am getting will be going to the backstay (it adds about 28" and 11 percent increase in area) They say it should actually reduce weather helm (might have to reef earlier) because of less induced turbulence. It should also make it easier to sail with just the main alone if required. Anyways they have been great to deal with (long distance only) and we will see in a month or so how it works out.

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2008 08:11 
Skipper

Berwick,
Sounds like your mainsail is similar to what I am ordering. I contracted with Ullman Sails in Virginia to build a cruising main with heavy cloth, three reefs, extra roach, reinforced clews, triple stitched, full battens, low friction slides. I don't have lazy jacks either and have debated, but the current arrangement seems to work fine. Are you going with a loose footed main? I decided to stick with the slides on the foot.
Hope the end product is everything I hope it'll be........this is obviously a major boat expenditure, but if it lasts 15 years.... Wink
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008 22:51 
Skipper

Hi Tom, just finally got out with the new high roached mainsail (I went with a shelf foot and slugs on the boom). Out of 3 days we had 15 to 22 knots of true wind for 2 of the days and mostly close hauled sailing. I noticed much less weather helm (no reefs in for these winds) and a good turn of speed. I did not feel that there was any disadvantage at all to the bigger roach and also really noticed better speed on the lighter wind day on a broad reach. I went with the tides marine strong track system and it goes up and down easier with the full battens than my old partial battened mainsail.

Richard

Profile Email