Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - What are your propane capacities

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 12:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are your propane capacities
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2008 07:20 
Skipper

Just a quick post to see what other T37 owners are carrying in the way of propane. I have a 13 lb tank in a after-market locker installed on the port side of the helmsman seat. I also carry a 6lb aluminum tank that I mounted on the sternrail for the BBQ grill. I have thought about installing a second propane locker on the starboard helmsman seat for a spare tank. Any thoughts? Boat Drinks

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: What are your propane capacities
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2008 20:35 
Skipper

I have the same as you, and have been thinking the same as you, but with an extension for the BBQ.

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2008 13:03 
Midshipman

I've got an 11lb tank in a custom locker below the helm seat port side. Jay.
Attachment:
fb11.jpg

fb11.jpg [ 109.69 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2008 17:26 
Able Bodied Seaman

To where is the propane locker vented....out on the transom near the centerline?

I have thought of making a custom propane locker (as my company manufactures things out of fiberglass). I didn't know if there are some particular things or issues that folks have noticed that I should take into account.

By the way, the only reason I am looking into propane is because there are, apparently, only two places in Florida where I can get my CNG tanks filled, each being four hours away. If anyone knows of some place closer to Tampa, please let me know.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2008 17:57 
Midshipman

Jay,

Where did you get your cover? I tried a Beckson but they don't make one big enough.

Falco,

I purchased the propane locker from white water marine and I am less than thrilled with it. It is not a drop in upgrade, although I did not expect something that easy. I did not expect to have to assemble the over $500 locker either.

I also purchased an 11 lb fiberglass tank. I won't fit all the way to the bottom of the locker. I don't know if it is the tank or the locker. So, I have some modifications to make to the locker. My latest idea is to use the locker without the top and to sand out the interior to make more room for my tank. I also need to fabricate an area for the regulator and solenoid.

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2008 10:00 
Able Bodied Seaman

Mine is in the same spot Under the helm seat to portside Toast

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2008 11:28 
Tactictian

I am going to look at a fiberglass 16lb tank this afternoon with a view to making a locker on the port side to take two of them. At present I have a rather shoddy 10lb steel tank in a locker which vents straight down through the transom.

I thought about putting one on each side, but am going to replace the pump on the starboard side with a big whale gusher that I picked up.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2008 11:30 
Tactictian

Like this: http://ca.binnacle.com/product_info.php ... ts_id=6300

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2008 15:26 
Able Bodied Seaman

Our 1982 vintage T37 has a locker for a 11 lbs. bottle on the port side of the helmsman seat. We wintered south one year and I wanted a safe way to carry a second bottle. I made a teak plywood box that set directly forward of the steering pedestle. I mounted the cockpit table on the foward side of the box. Worked well and required no additional holes/modifications to the boat.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008 05:54 
Skipper

Tartan 37403: With the propane locker located in the cockpit, were you able to vent overboard? The gas might go down the cockpit scuppers, but I wouldn't bet on it since the threshold at the companionway is so low.

Profile Email