Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Sailing Instruments

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 09:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sailing Instruments
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2008 23:58 
Midshipman

SOLARE came with factory installed Datamarine sailing instruments that are cut into the forward port bulkhead. I'm planning on replacing these with new instruments this spring, only problem is the huge 4" holes that they cut for the old ones.

Has anyone refinished their bulkhead and mounted instruments in a Sea Pod over their companionway, or mounted modern units like the Raymarine ST-60 in the old holes from the original Datamarine units?

Also, is the wiring up the mast to the masthead unit run in a conduit (hopefully) or has anyone found the wiring to be internally fastened inside the mast?

Cheers,
Glenn R
Bow

SOLARE #442

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Sailing Instruments
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008 06:34 
Skipper

If the mounting holes are too big, you can use either a teak backing plate or one made from Starboard. ANother option is to do what I did.........Portlights!!!
Attachment:
Copy of galley.jpg

Copy of galley.jpg [ 1.58 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008 11:09 
Tactictian

That is really neat, I have two round holes there as well.

I must say that I am very tempted by the portlight kit that tartan offer, but i CANNOT REALLY JUSTIFY IT AS THE PORTLIGHTS IN MY BOAT ARE ALL PRETY RECENT ..UT PLASTIC.

OOPs sorry caplocks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008 21:20 
Rail Meat

Last spring I replaced 3 old datamarine instruments on the port bulkhead with Raymarine ST60 instruments, flush mounted. I was able to mount them in the same location by tracing on the bulkhead the nearly square mounting templates and cuting away more fiberglass. The hard part was making the cabinetry behind the slightly larger instruments conform. It involved some cutting away of the frame. I am not sure if the woodwork was factory or added.
One piece of advice, learned the hard way, is that your new instruments will work a lot better if you do not drive a wood screw into the wire from the depth sounder transducer to the instument. The result was good operation at more than 30 ft and nothing at less. It was very frustrating troubleshooting that one.
We taped the new wind instrument wire to the old and pulled it through the conduit successfully.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 May 2008 21:19 
Skipper

Okay, I have a problem. I can't decide what to do with my datamarine depth instrument. It when on the fritz last spring, so I lived without it since. Then I sent the unit out for analysis, nothing, in fact they screwed it up more but that's another story Frustrating

So I went to DMI marine who sells replacement instruments for the datamarine, total replacement would be 499.00 for the instrument and 150.00 for the transducer = WOW!

Then I thought why the hell not replace everything, but then I had a reality check when I started to cost them out, Raymarine & Tack Tick.

SOOOOO what I really want to know is does anyone have an old datamarine depth that's working that they want to sell????? Someone please say yes, I am not ready to drop the $$$ for all new, and don?t like the idea of $750 just to prolong the inevitable Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 May 2008 00:22 
Skipper

Are you sure it's dead? Ours has become finicky in it's old age but it's usually just a matter of connections. Every year we work on the connections and gain until it comes back to a reliable reading under 20ft, sometimes staying alive up to 40ft.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 May 2008 05:54 
Skipper

Chef........I replaced my instruments about 3 years ago and DID have the Datamarine depth unit....but I had to destroy the transducer removing it...it must have been installed with 5200 Shocked AND since it didn't have a transducer and was old.....
its now in the landfill....sorry.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 May 2008 19:11 
Midshipman

Chef,

I have the datamarine depth and speed and Raymarine replacements for them. It is on my list for this season but I haven't gotten to it yet. When I do you are welcome to the parts I pull out. If things workout as planned, I should have them out by the end of June. Of course, you know how boat plans can go...

Let me know if you are interested...

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 May 2008 19:38 
Skipper

T37Sailor, thank you, very cool. Yes I would be interested. Where are you located? I would offer to help with the swap if your interested. otherwise I'll keep a one on this thread for an update on your project Cheers

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 May 2008 13:01 
Midshipman

I've decided to hold off until next year to replace the instruments, as I want to go with a NEMA2000 network and the they are just starting to hit the market. (that ultrasonic wind instrument is just too cool to pass up!)

The reason I want to get them off the bulkhead, is they are always covered by either the main sheet or a person. Having them above the companion way wiill resolve that issue, and will be visable to all in the cockpit. I did get a quote to reglass & gel the holes for $1200. I may or may not do it myself.

So I should have a set of DM's available next year.

SOLARE #442

Profile Email