Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Inner forestay Options

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inner forestay Options
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2008 23:37 
Rail Meat

I read a post re: inner forestay with great interest. We have just bought a new Beneteau 49 which was ordered with inner forestay attachment points on the deck and mast. The inner forestay itself is not included, I guess, to give owners the option of what type of installation is desired. My thought was, like in the post I read, that we could simply roll up the 135% genoa and deploy a staysail when the wind piped up. After reading the post and lots of others it is becoming evident that there is a lot more to this puzzle than meets the eye. We find that the 135% is too heavy for upwind performance in light air and want to change it for a lighter and potentially larger sail (Light/Medium #1). The problem it seems is to find and deploy the next size of sail (presumably a #3) to fit the gap between heavy air and light air. Our deck chain plate attachment position is about 4' behind the forestay chain plate. Our 'J' measurement is 18.5'. This puts the inner forestay at the classic "cutter" position. After reading the post, I am concerned that if we make a staysail for this setup, we'll be underpowered for wind speeds between 15 knts apparent and 25 knts apparant. One option would be to move the inner forestay attachment forward by a couple of feet. We have another bulkhead there that would work. Does anybody have thoughts on all of this ?? Also what about using a removeable furling unit like 'Profurl EC'. Can you get enough stay tension with these units to perform upwind ?? Any help would be appreciated. Thx, Simon.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Inner forestay Options
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2008 18:33 
Midshipman

The only thing I would recommend is to make sure you have a good support base under the deck attachment. I was on a boat a few years ago that had the removeable forestay and it had been added as an after-market. As I inspected the v-berth area, I noticed cracking on both sides of the head liner. It occurred to me that there was nothing under the deck attachment so any upward force on the removeable forestay, was transferred only to the deck. An article in a T37 newletter years ago showed how to add a brace that attached to the forward hull under the v-berth. In this way, the upward force was on the hull, not the deck.

As for sails, I switched from a heavy 130 to a lighter 140 roller furling on my T37. I now find that I am sailing a lot of the time with it rolled in to a 130, and rolled to a 110 in heavier air. The point is, that I only use the full 140 in air under about 10 knots. After that I am heeled to much and not on my best lines.

Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email