Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Staysail track

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 01:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Staysail track
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007 04:53 
Able Bodied Seaman

If anyone uses a secondary inner track for their staysail, could you tell me where you've placed it? Pictures would be great if possible. I bought my boat a few months back and I'm completing projects before the big sail. Since I have all the hardware (track, cars, bolts, etc) and all the headliner ripped down, now is the perfect time (maintenance-wise) to install track on the cabin top. My staysail has a relatively high clew, so the genoa track is an option. Appreciate any ideas.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Staysail track
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007 00:02 
Able Bodied Seaman

The staysail sheeting for upwind sailing would likely be inside the upper shroud and the aft lower but outside the forward lower. The athwartship position may be something around 12 degrees (from the staysail stay) out from midships, on my T37 that works out to just about where the handrails are on the cabin top. The fore and aft position is for you to determine with your sail by hoisting the staysail and attaching a sheet then pulling aft and down to tighten the foot and the leach. where the sheet projects down to the deck is a good starting point, in my instance, I have found that spot to be about 12 inches forward of the dorade vent moulding and about 3 inches inboard of the hand rail. I did not put track instead I mounted a heavy padeye that I attach a snatch block to and run the sheet through that and out to the outer geneoa track to a winch. The sheet could also go to a cabin top winch but I never tried that. Since the staysail is usually short on the luff, you will have pennents top and bottom, or bottom anyway, by adjusting the length of the lower pennent the whole sail can be raised or lowered to adjust the sheet to the fixed position on deck. If you were using a low clew "blade" type of staysail then the sheeting position would be forward somewhat and then I would say you would look at 2-3 feet of track along side the handrail. For reaching I would think the sheet would be eased some then the sheet will rub on the shrouds unless you relead the sheet outside all the shrouds and then lead to a geneoa track.

Sam

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Staysail track
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2011 11:53 
Rail Meat

My boat came with this Harken self tacking traveler for the staysail. It works well close hauled, but needs a barberhauler on a reach.

Attachments:
staysail traveler.JPG
staysail traveler.JPG [ 404.79 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

S/V Dragonfly, T37 #249

Profile Email