Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - extra insulation?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 24 Apr 2024 21:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: extra insulation?
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2007 13:46 
Skipper

Has anyone added extra insulation to their icebox? I'm adding a fridge unit and didn't know if it would be worth the headache Frustrating
I already insulated the lids and have added gaskets all around, but now is the time to do it if its worth while. Smile

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: extra insulation?
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2007 13:24 
Able Bodied Seaman

I plan to do the same and have te same question about the insulation. Does anyone had to do this job ? What kind of insulation did you choose ? How did you manage to remove the old one without destroying the ice box ?

Thanks and have a nice Xmas all !

Jean-Denis
S/V Judi Lou, Hull # 162
Qu?bec, QC, Canada

Hull #162
YCQ, Qu?bec City, QC, Canada

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2007 13:57 
Skipper

I would go overtop the existing fiberglass liner with the rigid blue insulation by glueing it to the fiberglass surface then add (glue) sheets of fiberglass, filleting the corners with an epoxy slurry and fiberglass tape the corners, sand and paint the new surface. But I don't know if the extra R value would be worth the time and effort. I figure the if I add 1" of foam insulation, that would be about R-7.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2007 17:43 
Midshipman

I added insulation to my Tartan 27 ice box and it made an impressive difference. I used the blue foam in 2 inch panels and glued and taped the seams. I used to go through two bags of ice a day during the summer. After the insulation it took one bag of ice to get the box down to temp, but then the second bag would last for two days.

I am watching this thread with interest too. If I could figure out how to pull the ice box counter out that would get me where I need to be. But I cannot figure out how it is attached to the bulkhead.

I even saw some pictures of the ice box removed. It was on Kimberlite. But, I don't remember how it was done.

I heard Kimberlite's former owner, Eric Freedman, had a web site of the work he did on Kimberlite. We should try to get a hold if it!

Regards,
Craig Connolly
Recollections
T37 #231

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007 09:26 
Skipper

I know that the countertop extends underneath the storage cabinet, but I do not know how the countertop is fastened. It could be screwed from above and the plastic laminate was then applied over thus hidding the screws. I can't remove my top because I installed ceramic tile already.
By the way, removing the storage cabinet outboard is a pain!!!!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007 15:44 
Able Bodied Seaman

I'm in the middle of a custom mod on mine, and I can tell you this:
1) the counter does run under the slide track into the outboard cabinets
2) the half-bulkhead on the forward side is glued to the counter top's edge, but not very well (mine popped right off)
3) Under the melamine I've found some screws. Maybe from previous owner, but I'm guess that it's screw/epoxy combo holding the top down.

Good luck!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007 08:17 
Skipper

As an added note, I believe that the existing icebox liner is set into an expanded foam bath then the foam hardened around the liner; therefore, removal of the existing liner would be a pain. I am surmising this because of an access panel that is below my box to access the drain assembly and the foam is carved away around the drain. In other words, I don't think that the foam was applied prior to the box being lowered into the cabinet......I could be wrong, but on my boat, that's what I'm seeing. Confused

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2007 11:39 
Skipper

I posted a query earlier this fall about trying to clear the drain pipes on the icebox/refrigerator. I ended up poking a hole in the tube and will now have to replace it. While you are working on your iceboxes has anyone taken photos of what's underneath or how these hoses are attched. I am probably going to have to make a port into the side of the wood panel to reach the drain.

Any help would be appreciated.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2007 12:36 
Grinder

Here is a photo Eric sent me of Kimberlite?s Ice box during the refit. I think he replaced it with a newly fabricated fridge. There used to be a picture on the Tartan 37 web site under projects, http://www.tartan37.com/projects.html but the pictures do not show now. The web administrator can probably fix that.

Attachments:
KimberliteIceBox.JPG
KimberliteIceBox.JPG [ 20.44 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2007 12:43 
Skipper

That sure looks like a MAJOR pain to add a little efficiency Shocked I think adding it from the inside makes more sense.....But if already tearing your gally apart.....

Profile Email