Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - swapping out natural gas cooker

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 04:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: swapping out natural gas cooker
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2023 06:49 
Tactictian

I still have the CNG cooker and tanks and would like to see others photos and ideas on converting to LPG and location of tanks. Has anyone had good results with alcohol stoves?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: swapping out natural gas cooker
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2023 12:26 
Skipper

We had pressurized alcohol on our last boat for 10-12 years and it worked okay. Not as hot as gas and generally temperamental but we lived with it. Esprit was converted to propane before we bought her. The locker is on the port side of the lazarette(sp?). It holds a 10 pound tank and has worked just fine for around 25 years.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2023 06:19 
Tactictian

Thanks for that. I have only seen one photo of an installation like the one you have and I would appreciate any photos that anyone would post of the same set up. Thanks, Mark #337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2023 14:38 
Tactictian

We have a fiberglass container mounted on the stern pushpit that holds two 11lb propane tanks. This works well: when the in-use tank runs out, there's a spare ready to swap in right away. The only downside is that it makes our stern rail pretty crowded with the propane tank, lifesling, ring buoy, dinghy outboard, BBQ, GPS antennas, and our downrigger (for salmon fishing).

A couple of photos are attached below.

Attachments:
File comment: lid closed
PXL_20230812_140850402.jpg
PXL_20230812_140850402.jpg [ 2.81 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: lid open
PXL_20230812_140914020.jpg
PXL_20230812_140914020.jpg [ 2.78 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2023 15:33 
Tactictian

Thanks Mike for the photos. I think that is a good system for extended cruising but I would be a little concerned when offshore. I would consider stowing the tank and holder down below while offshore and carry the refillable one pounders for heating needs on watch.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2023 16:51 
Skipper

Zoombats wrote:
Thanks Mike for the photos. I think that is a good system for extended cruising but I would be a little concerned when offshore. I would consider stowing the tank and holder down below while offshore and carry the refillable one pounders for heating needs on watch.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I understand the why but I have grave reservations with the why not. Yes, the bottles would not get swept overboard on an offshore passage. Good idea. BUT propane is heavier than a 80%nitrogen/20%oxygen mixture and will settle in the very bottom of the bilge. Right where the engine starter can provide a sparking heat source and BLEWIE. Actually, maybe a B.L.E.V.E. That is the reason propane holders have drains to release any leak overboard and OUT of the boat.

It may not happen to you but I have seen pictures of sailboats with the deck ripped from the hull during a propane explosion. https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/ma ... explosion/

BLEVE = Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email