Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - LiFePO4 System Installation

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LiFePO4 System Installation
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2023 11:11 
Tactictian

Since I'm on a roll with posts today, I figured I'd also post a bit about my major LiFePO4 upgrade which I have detailed a bit on the Tartan 37 Owners group on Facebook and extensively on the Lithium Batteries for Boats FB page. I will not go into a lot of detail here because you can get all the info on those pages. I will say that this install really forced me to become educated. I had already re-wired my boat (DC panels, engine panel, all new instruments, AP, AIS, Radar, Yacht Sense Link, antennas, lights, outlets, etc) so I knew just enough to be dangerous. Because I'm paranoid, I did a lot of research on LiFePO4 and it all sounded too good to be true! Could I really double my effective battery capacity within the same footprint, charge faster, half the weight, and get 10x more cycles than FLA? The answer, seemingly, is yes! Would it be cheap or easy doing myself? No. Batteries are not too expensive - I think I paid about $1800 for three and the price has since dropped for the Kilovault HLX+1200s. But, all the supporting equipment is expensive - additional bus bars, T class fuse, DC-DC converter, cables, switches, etc all add up. I didn't add it all because I don't really want to know but this upgrade was probably around $2800 doing all the work myself. Never mind how long it took because it took me a long time to just get the system design straight and vetted by experts, all during a time when ABYC standards for LiFePO4 were evolving. What I ended up with is, I think, and extremely good and safe system. Between the sophisticated internal BMS of each battery, the MRBF fuses on each terminal, and the big 300A T class fuse before a dedicated battery isolation switch, this setup should be really safe. I also have properly-sized cables - 2/0 - from the batteries through to the main switch. I have a separate starter battery now but, on the advice of Kilovault, I can use my LiFePO4 bank for emergency starting if required (the smallish engine is not a large draw - measured at under 200A for a very short duration). These battery banks cannot be paralleled because you really don't want to mix chemistries. Pics were taken before I properly secured the batteries but all good now. I've also taken the time to properly program all charging sources - external regulator, solar controllers, smart shunt, and battery charger - with the proper profiles because that's important. There's a lot of stuff packed into my tech compartment under the quarter berth now but it all works. Expensive and time consuming - yes. Satisfying - very. I'll add more pics and an updated schematic with the switching correctly depicted at a later date.

Attachments:
Drop-in Lithium-Laura T Rev 3.jpg
Drop-in Lithium-Laura T Rev 3.jpg [ 169.85 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Lithium Install 3.jpg
Lithium Install 3.jpg [ 2.24 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
Lithium Install 2.jpg
Lithium Install 2.jpg [ 1.65 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
Lithium Install 1.jpg
Lithium Install 1.jpg [ 1.67 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 System Installation
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2023 06:24