Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Rigid Vang

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 21:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rigid Vang
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007 13:15 
Skipper

Thinking about going to the boat show makes me start analyzing my wish list and two items rising to the top are: replacing the existing traveler/car assembly to one with ball-bearings, and the other is a rigid boom vang. I am thinking that Garhauer is probably the best buy for the buck with both of these. Has anyone install a rigid vang? Is there enough clearance under the boom for the proper purchase power?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Rigid Vang
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007 19:15 
Skipper

I have a rigid boom vang, but did not install it, was on the boat when we purchased it. So I assume you'll be okay. I would give big kudos to Garhauer, they rock, top noctch stuff. Practical Sailor rated their boom vangs as the best.

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007 19:29 
Rail Meat

We installed both; using Garhauer products. We are very satisfied with both. The installation of the boom vang is relatively easy; but removing the old traveler is an adventure. I would go directly to drilling off the heads of the bolts, since all but one bolt were frozen solid. We sent the old traveler bar to Garhauer for size and marked the location we wanted for bolt holes. Start that project early in the off season, because you are completely out of the sailing business until the new peices are delivered and installed.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007 21:16 
Skipper

http://www.tartanowners.org/phorum/read ... =102&t=102

this link to Tartan Owners may be of interest to you

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007 05:52 
Skipper

Thanks for the input, JDC: did Garhauer charge any additional fee for drilling custom holes?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007 19:43 
Rail Meat

No extra charge; they will make the bar whatever length you request to fit you present deck supports and drill the holes as you mark them. After drilling off the heads and cutting the shanks off the old bolts, you will want new hole locations. I was lucky that a local marine machine shop happened to have 4 6" bolts (which they called "struts", rather than bolts. They have thread only on the last inch or so). I had trouble locating any other source and they are critical in order to through-bolt the ends of the bar through the wood supports,thru the deck, to be secured under the cabin liner.

John Cunningham
#206, Gloucester, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2007 07:26 
Midshipman

JDC,
I'm contemplating this same project, but I would have expected to use the same holes.
What did you see, or know, that caused you to drill all new holes?

Doug

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2007 19:56 
Rail Meat

Doug
The original traveler had 1/4-20 ss machine screws threaded into an aluminum bar encased in fiberglass. After 25+ years there was no backing them out. So I wound up drilling off all the heads and cutting them all off. Hence the need for new hole locations. I decided not to try to tap threads in the bar but to drill all the way through and use washers, lock washers and nuts. I coated the entire shaft of the machine screws with anti-seize to give someone else a prayer of getting them out in another 25 years. In the center of the bar you can reach under the companionway fibreglass cover to fasten the nuts.
I also bedded the new Garhauer bar, then lightly tightened all the screws and after a few days did the final tightening.
My original traveler was virtually inoperable under any sort of load and the Garhauer traveler (Model MT-UB2) is terrific. I led the control lines through the dodger to Harken cam cleats that allow cleating from any angle. The Garhauer lines are long enough to allow me to operate the traveller from the helm if needed.

John Cunningham
Hull 206 1979
Gloucester ,MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008 12:00 
Midshipman

I installed a Garhauer rigid vang in 2000. I was told then that Garhauer had not done one on a Tarten before and had to estimate a few things. They were concerned about the low slope required to attach at the mast above the centerboard pendant. We also had to guess at the attach location on the boom, and I drilled several sets of holes before getting it right. This was to get the "lift" on the boom correct. But now it is all working great.

Jerry

JAMMIN' #226

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008 12:41 
Skipper

Garhauer does not have a very long memory. I have had their rigid vang for 12 years and about 20K miles. No problem to install. There is a little problem with the lines twisting in the sheaves causing a lot of friction, but that is a maintenance issue. Nice to adjust the vang without the need of a winch.

Profile Email