Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Forced Liveaboard

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 09:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Forced Liveaboard
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2022 09:14 
Skipper

Got it out. One tiny but obvious pinhole in the low corner was allowing almost just fumes out of the tank. Going to the welderator today. And it weren't no picnic getting it out.

Edit: wow. tank was done in 1 day, perfect and good price. Now to shoehorn it back into the hell of the quarter berth.

I suggest anyone with an original tank consider this "fix." It is so common for the tank to "pinhole" in that corner that, without seeing any "real" leak, I decided to get it over with. Sure enough, miniscule holes are visible after cleaning the shellac-looking diesel residue off that corner. It wasn't "leaking." Fuel was "migrating" through the almost imperceptible pitting. While I'd charge at least $1000 to ever take out a similar fuel tank (I need a full day's recovery after that little battle) the cost of welding was nothing compared to replacing a perfectly good tank.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2022 11:07 
Skipper

Delivered the Tartan from the headwaters of the Penobscot River across the Gulf of Maine, the CC Canal and up into Portsmouth, R.I. a couple weekends ago and she supposedly loaded onto a freighter this morning to begin the trek to the Virgin Islands. New arrival date on the order of 11/26.

One foot on the Rock, one foot on the boat looking South and West.

Got to go back over to Jost and play with the "Classics Regatta" entrants. Last time was awhile back with the Pearson 10M, single handed, circling the entrants one at a time, standing well off and not bothering them, catch the next one, do it again. Couldn't catch Virgin Fiyah, but hey, it's a friggin' trimaran. And note that we were towing the dinghy. Callwood thought I won, but I never paid the entrance fee for that one.

Oh, and going to roll and tip the hull white (blue gelcoat in Caribbean is nuts) in the next couple of months. I'll prep, help Kenny. He uses a 15" Italian artist's brush with vertical strokes only. Amazing results.

Attachments:
FOXYS May 2007_8093.jpg
FOXYS May 2007_8093.jpg [ 168.45 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022 09:36 
Skipper

You did say gel coat?

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2022 10:50 
Skipper

Yes, dark blue gelcoat. When I was working on it from the inside in Maine this summer with a bunch of the furniture out you could feel the heat coming through the hull. That ain't gonna work in southern climes, and painting it is the simplest solution.

Profile Email