Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New Portholes Hatches

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 12:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Portholes Hatches
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007 22:18 
Skipper

I am considering installing new stainless steel portholes that are larger than the original ones. I am looking at sailing offshore in a few years and since I will have to replace seals and lenses due to wear and tear I am considering stainless portholes. To add some more light below decks I though I might go to a larger size. Has anyone installed larger portholes? Are there any problems expanding the size?

Thanks
Stephen
'Our Lattitude'

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: New Portholes Hatches
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007 20:28 
Skipper

http://nicknack.us

Try this link to T37 Nicknack, click on New Ports on the left of your screen. I'm sure others will chime in, in the meantime I'll follow this thread and drowl over thos beautiful stainless ports Crying or Very sad

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007 21:54 
Skipper

I replaced mine on "Tortuga" last year with Hood stainless hatches that I bought direct from Hood. The forward hatch was very close to the same size; however, the middle hatch was larger, so the hole had to be expanded. I used a jigsaw with a good blade to enlarge the hole, then used a router with a rabeting bit to hollow out the balsa coring and fillled with an epoxy slurry which will seal the core from water infiltration. Make sure that you round all corners when cutting out the opening for a square corner is subjected to point forces and is likely to crack....Good luck Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2007 10:30 
Midshipman

One of the improvements that sold us on SOLARE were the stainless portlights that the previous owner installed. He got them from New Found Metals and were exact sized replacements.

http://www.newfoundmetals.com/catalog/pg02.html

Hope this helps,
Glenn

SOLARE #442

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2007 15:43 
Skipper

Oops!! I read porthole hatches and only registered the "Hatch" part...... My portholes are stainless replacement ones from Hood as well.... Boat Drinks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2007 18:39 
Midshipman

You can install portlights larger than the 4" x 14" (glass area) portlights in the cabin and head, but probably not in the v-berth. The cabin wall height narrows as you go forward. I wanted consistent sizes, so I stayed with 4" x 14" glass. Incidentally, I'm a fan of Man Ship LS rectangular stainless steel portlights, http://manshipmarine.com/product/RECTAN ... THOLE.htm, but some prefer a flush exterior look rather than spigots. Jay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008 12:08 
Midshipman

I replaced my portlights a couple years ago with the same, but upgrade, Beckson portlights. There are several improvements over the original, the best part being cam latches.

The biggest issue I ran into was the poor shape of the original cut openings. I made a template and cut the openings true to fit the new portlights. (The portlights are the exact same size, but the openings were bad.) Then I had to elongate most of the fastener holes to fit. The new hatches also use a blind nut for an improved appearance. I did find a supplier to provide 25 packs of the blind nuts.

Beckson provided good instructions for the installation and they look much improved over the original.

I could have gone with the stainless, but didn't feel the increased cost was warrented on a 27 year old boat.

Jerry

JAMMIN' #226

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009 20:51 
Rail Meat

You may be able to buy new portlights direct from Manship in Taiwan, I think these are the same as Hood. I just purchased 8 for the princley sum of about 2500 USD plus shipping. I will be installing them shortly. These are CE certified and if they are the same as Hoods I think the finish is better than Newfound Metals, plus the closing dogs look nicer.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009 11:33 
Tactictian

I have just ordered a set from New found metals and may add two more- one for old instrument holes above the galley sink and one for the quarterberth to open into the cockpit.

$209 a piece after a discount.

I will pick them up in Port Townsend next week which is a significant saving.

This link provides an excellent installation tutorial:http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/nfm_port_lights

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009 13:23 
Skipper

We just finished installing 8 NFM portlights. They look great and I like the look of the teak spacers inside. I think going bigger would be hard as there is not much room inside the saloon for bigger ports, especially with the teak spacers. When you rout out the new openings be aware that the original holes may not line up with the rest of the world. Line up your router jig carefully and stand back and look at the angle of the ports to make sure they all follow the same line. Use lots of the black goop they sell and test all of them with a hose (the first one especially). I used 30 mm screws on all but the starboard port in the v-berth. Those required 33 mm screws because the cabin liner and outside shell had a gap between them.

Profile Email