Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - prop cavitation?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: prop cavitation?
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2007 11:44 
Navigator

As a new owner of a t37 ser 295 i had an experience the other day that has me scratching my head. I was motoring out of the harbor and breakwater going right into the waves. It was kind of rough and the bow was pitching and dropping. I noticed a low rumble coming from the prop area. I think it was cavitating. I have the fixed three blade prop, the cutlass brg is good, the boat doesnt do this in any other condition and I did have the power up around 2200 rpm. Havent been able to duplicate the noise again. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks Carl Sutherland

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: prop cavitation?
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2007 01:11 
Skipper

Chugging into the waves seems to give the prop (we have stock fixed 2 blade) the extra bite with the pitching. When the stern's on the way down the one blade is cutting down w/ the motion, one up against the motion so there's a big difference in the speed. (sort of like the safe side of a hurricane) So I notice that sound in the waves too. I'd say it sounds like cavitation though I don't know that it's actually doing that. I've never seen bubbles. I always imagined it's just the imbalance of the two sides causing that rumble.

Whatever it is, sounds very familiar and I don't think it's a problem. So is hull #295 a full keel too?

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2007 11:51 
Navigator

Thanks for the information. i just bought 295 from a fellow in sheboygan wi. actually i found it on this site too. was called blackwatch will be named mawky. the keel is the 4 ft c.b. type. the boat is a little plain but thats what i like about it. very simple systems and high quality build. i keep it up in superior wis. this year and maybe bayfield next. hope to do some longer trips with it when time permits. i have only been sailing for about ten years but find this one easy and comfortable to single hand. my biggest worry when i take it out is backing out of the slip. i have done it but with any kind of wind it is tough to do alone. has anyone replace the plexiglass in the lewmar fwd hatch, does anyone have a source for a winter canvas cover. thanks carl sutherland. ps sorry for the poor punctuation, i am out of the country now using a real different keyboard with all kinds of unknown stuff on it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2007 15:00 
Able Bodied Seaman

I have hull 403 and she's a K/CB as well. Most often straight in to the wind and in steep chop I experience what I have always thought was cavitation too. Have had her 15+ years and never has been a problem.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2007 15:29 
Skipper

carl s wrote:
Thanks for the information. i just bought 295 from a fellow in sheboygan wi. actually i found it on this site too. was called blackwatch will be named mawky.

Well that's really neat! Tartan37.com is making matches now!
Where will you be keeping her? If you ever roll through Waukegan, send out a PM and we'll raise a glass on a T37 to be named later.
Splice

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007 08:32 
Midshipman

Carl, regarding the replacement of the front hatch plexiglass, the T37 OEM hatches were made by Atkins Hoyle, not Lewmar. Atkins Hoyle in Canada can replace the lens, but the cost is prohibitive. If the hatch is not OEM and a Lewmar, Select Plastics in Connecticut can replace the lens at a more reasonable cost. Alternatively, you can attempt to replace the lens yourself, or perhaps have it replaced at a local auto windshield replacement shop. I believe the Lewmar lens are typically made of 1/2" (12mm) smoke grey acrylic. Jay.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007 13:48 
Navigator

I think I will try the local plastic comp. route this winter. Is your hatch lens just bedded in some sealant or is it screwed down too. Mine is bedded and screwed down and it seems to leak on some screw holes. I suspect this was not original.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007 20:03 
Midshipman

My hatch lens was bedded with no screws. Jay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2007 08:21 
Skipper

I replaced my original Atkins Hoyle hatches last year due to severe crazing of the plexiglas. The quote I had for a company to replace the plexi and the gaskets was too high ($500/both hatches). The problem was that the forward hatch has the exterior knobs to open the hatch. These knobs tend to get corroded such that you have to destroy them to remove them. Since I did not want to go through all of the headache of that, I wound up buying two stainless hatches direct from Hood that look really sharp and the size matched up pretty close. These hatches are the Traditional model from Hood which has a profile very much like the Atkins-Hoyle.
Tom

Profile Email