Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Air Conditioning

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 02:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Air Conditioning
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2007 19:23 
Able Bodied Seaman

These hot, muggy Chesapeake summers are making me think about air conditioning after almost 15 years without it. I would be particularly interested in installation details from readers who have A/C. Where is the compressor located? Can ductwork be routed through the bulkheads without compromising structural integrity? What brand/model/size has proven to work? Just how dependable is it? My only experience was on a charter boat; it's cooling pump kept losing it's prime and was mostly an aggravation. Any thoughts on the subject will be appreciated.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007 10:03 
Midshipman

I have a Cruisair SXR16 Reverse Cycle 16,000 BTU air conditioner installed. The intake water seacock, water strainer, water pump, compressor, condenser, evaporator, blower, receiver and accumulator, and return-air filter are installed in the V berth starboard locker. The SMX II power / logic box is installed in the aft facing wall of the starboard closet in the salon. The ducts run through the two starboard closets, with one duct exiting the top of the closet in the V-Berth and the other duct exiting the top of the closet in the salon. The outtake water thruhull is in the V-berth closet. Installation is straight forward. Jay.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2007 12:10 
Able Bodied Seaman

Jay, this sounds like a good solution. A few questions about your installation... Did you have to dismantle the cabinet to get the unit in the locker? Assume you built a shelf to get raise the unit to allow the thru hull installation below it? Do you know or learn through research if cutting the holes through the bulkheads for the ductwork compromises structural integrity? Did you reinforce the holes some way? Did you simply run a dedicated 110 line to the unit from your 110 breaker panel? Does the 30 amp service allow you to run other loads when running the A/C?

Thanks for the good information.

Ted

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2007 18:21 
Midshipman

Ted, you do not have to dismantle the cabinet to install the Cruisair unit in the starboard v-berth locker. Although a shelf was built for the unit, the thru-hull was installed close to the centerline away from the unit, where the shut-off valve could be easily turned. I can't imagine cutting a duct hole through the bulkhead impacted structural integrity. In any event, I did not reinforce the holes. I installed a separate Marinco 30 amp receptacle, 30 amp A/C breaker, and wiring for the air conditioning. Eventhough I have a Heart 1800 EMS Charger/Inverter that passes AC directly to the panel when conected to dock power, the air conditioning circuit is not tied into the inverter circuit. Jay.

Profile Email