Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Ham Radio

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 03 Jun 2024 03:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ham Radio
PostPosted: 23 May 2024 14:47 
Rail Meat

I'm a ham radio operator (KO4GOD) and a sailor. Who here has been able to add an HF antenna to their boat without using the aft stay? I'm thinking of maybe an end fed quarter wave on standoffs attached to the backstay...just a thought.

Who has done this with success? Yes, I will add a ground plate.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Ham Radio
PostPosted: 23 May 2024 17:55 
Tactictian

Our boat came to us (in 2020) with a SSB radio and Pactor modem. The SSB tuner is located under the port end of the rear cockpit seat (where some people have installed a propane locker). The antenna comes through the aft cockpit coaming and then can be hoisted up to the top of the mast with an extra "mini halyard" installed for this purpose.

We haven't used the SSB; the "ground plane" on our installation was a rats nest of 2" copper foil lying in the bilge that had mostly turned to green powder by the time we bought the boat. We cleaned out all that mess but haven't replaced it with anything yet. I'm tempted to try a length of copper wire thrown over the side into the ocean. That seems like a good way to make a ground connection without drilling any holes in the boat. I don't expect we're going to use the SSB often, so a temporary connection that we make while the SSB is in use seems OK.

Attachments:
File comment: Coiled up SSB antenna. Note the plastic block at the top end of the antenna, which I think is where the mini-halyard attaches.
PXL_20201030_145827482.jpg
PXL_20201030_145827482.jpg [ 3.65 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Top of the mast showing the "mini halyard" for the SSB antenna
IMG_20201102_144510.jpg
IMG_20201102_144510.jpg [ 4 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email