Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Extra water tank

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 18:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Extra water tank
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2007 07:53 
Skipper

I am thinking of adding a twenty ot thirty gallon water tank in the Starboard lazarette for supplimenting the ninety gallons that we have. This added tankage could be used to store and separate collected rainwater if cruising or just add that additional capacity, but the main reason would be to counterbalance the fuel tank and the weight of using an all-chain rode at the bow.
Has anyone else added an extra water tank? If so where did you locate it? Question

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Extra water tank
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007 10:47 
Midshipman

I've not added an extra water tank. However, I'm not sure adding a tank in the starboard locker will do much to offset the weight of a full fuel tank. Unlike a lot of newer sailboat designs, the aft end of a T37 narrows considerablely. Any tank in the starboard locker that is below the waterline will of necessity be close to the hulls centerline. You might be better off locating the tank under the galley sink, if its a bladder type that will fit through the door. Jay.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2007 15:47 
Skipper

If I were to add a water tank, I think the aft bow section (same as the holding tank) would be the best spot. I am also planning to move the house batteries to the centerline aft of the engine and the starting battery under the galley sink to offset the list?

I am curious T37 owners...how long does your fresh water supply (using the standard capacity) last? We just got back from a four day cruise, two small children and my wife and I. We were out of water by the end of day four, and I thought we were using it rather sparingly? Question Shocked

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2007 16:37 
Midshipman

We are a family of four too. Two boys, 6 and almost 4. We have not been out for an extended cruse yet (next week though...), but at the dock we go through the stbd water tank in about 4 days. I haven't used the port tank yet. We don't drink from the tanks yet as the hose is in need of replacement...as is most everything else!

We shower ashore so most of our water usage is for dishes and wash up. I should admit that I am a bit extravagant with the dish water too.

Craig Connolly
Recollections

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2007 08:31 
Skipper

The water tanks for the two of us will last for a while, as long as we only take showers every other day. We just finished a two week cruise around the Chesapeake, we went thru the thirty gallon tank twice and tapped into the 60 gallon tank the last two days of the cruise. So that's close to eight gallons/day for two people (estimate).
I'm thinking of adding the extra water tank in the starboard lazarette, outboard, allowing for clearance into the engine compartment. This tank would have to be custom made for it would be trapazoidal in shape. I would fiberglass an enclosure around the tank which would allow me to build a storage shelf above it. It seems that there is a lot of wasted space up high in this storage compartment which can be better utilized. Anybody add a shelf in here???

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2007 17:02 
Skipper

Tortuga's Lie wrote:
Anybody add a shelf in here???
Im with ya, have not yet...but I am thinking about designing something with adjustable shelves with a net to secure things, life jackets, bumpers, etc while still being able to store and extra sail or two Rolling Eyes

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007 07:06 
Midshipman

On my T37 there already is a shelf in the starboard lazarette. It currently holds the compressor for the AB refrigeration and previously held a Raritan Crown II converter. As the Shelf is painted with the same T37 grey color as the rest of the interior, I thought the shelf was original to the T37. Jay.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008 12:18 
Midshipman

Our first cruise our water lasted only 4 days for two people. So I got busy measuring the tanks. I won't go into details, but the hot water tank should not be counted as supply! You can never get the water out unless you pump water in.

OK, so now we are down to the two "35" gallon tanks. The tank volume is measured to the OUTSIDE of the tanks. Take away the 3/16" walls, subtract the air pocket at the top, and subtract the dregs of water that won't drain, and you are down to a total of only 55 gallons.

Now that we understand our REAL water supply we have made various accomodations. We wash ourselves and other things in salt water whenever practical. We do not things like spaghette using a half gallon of water that gets tossed. That water now gets used for dish washing. We shower infrequently. And we carry as many gallons of fresh bottled water as we can. And then I do my part by drinking mostly beer.

As for balance, I added a bank of house batteries partially under the galley sink and partially in the bottom of the lazarete. Six golf cart batteries weigh about 420 lbs installed. Fity gallons of diesel weigh 400 lbs.

Hope this helps,

Jerry
JAMMIN'

Profile Email