Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - cabin alterations

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 08:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cabin alterations
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2020 09:24 
Tactictian

I have seen a reference to a restoration of a Tartan 37 specifically regarding a removable cock pit sole. Are there any links or drawings for this type of modification?
Another project I have in mind is to remove the upper berth, gain some storage and push the settee back. I would like to change the tankage and install a water maker. I would also like to rearrange the aft berth and change or remove entirely the chart table. Any thoughts? Mark, #337

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: cabin alterations
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2020 11:14 
Skipper

Ours has the extra cabinets instead of the upper berth. Also the settee has been made deeper by the width of the cushions. It makes it a place you can actually comfortably lounge. For live aboard cruising, these 2 things have been very nice for us. Let me know if you have any questions. I didn't make the modifications, but I could give any details I can see here.

You will have others tell you how the upper berth is the best place to sleep on passages. It all depends on how you cruise. We island hop and in almost 4 years living aboard our longest passages are around 35 hours, but even that is very rare. We find sleeping on whichever settee is on the leeward side to be great if one were to go down below. More often the non watch person of the 2 of us sleeps in the cockpit because we like to be in sight of each other on ocean passages.

Most of our time is spent at anchor where the extra storage is definitely more important than a berth.

Again, it all depends on how you use the boat.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2020 11:19 
Skipper

Removing the chart table is an interesting idea. Mine stays messy and disorganized of stuff I just put there until I get tired of it then clean it. Then repeat.

I do usually have a laptop running AIS on OpenCPN while we are on passage, but that is the only time it gets used. Now that Navionics has AIS, I have the info on my tablet at the helm.

What are you thinking of doing there? I like the idea.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2020 20:36 
Skipper

Someone made the pilot's berth into storage and posted pictures here. I've thought about doing that to my boat but alas, Life.......

I have the pictures on my computer so if you can't find them here, let me know.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020 09:44 
Tactictian

Hey Zach. I feel the same as you do with the upper bunk. in my case the berth becomes a cluttered storage area. In making a passage with a number of people who would be the unfortunate soul getting trod upon while occupying the lower berth? I think upper concealed storage would be of more use and the extended width to the settee would a be welcome addition as noted. My idea for the chart table removal or possible reconfiguration come from the approach of modern production boats to have a sideways facing table with a swing out stool while navigating. Filling in the original seat to include storage under and a permanent double bunk might be more effectively utilized. I am still interested in a hatch in the cock pit sole to facilitate major engine work and would welcome input on that modification as well. Mark #337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020 16:13 
Skipper

I like the chart table for general business as well as navigating. We can do navigation in a much smaller space but for general business, including boat business, I wouldn’t want to give up that space.

Chip
Esprit #324

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2020 09:14 
Skipper

Yeahhh. I went for the T37 primarily because of the forward facing chart table and double pilot berth. Great place to swing into at sea, quick back out to the cockpit if necessary. I had a choice between the T37 and a P365 cutter. Each has it's pros and cons. The Pearson hull is a tank. The Pearson 365/367 has no quarter berth and a starboard side outward facing chart table with a swing-out seat. I liked the cutter rig, and the enclosed shower stall, but really really don't like the vee drive. I also believe I got the faster boat.

A friend had to perform major surgery on his P365 (ketch) to replace the 4-108 as well. Cut a hole in the port side of the hull. No other way. The chart table setup was clearly designed by someone who never had to do any chartwork in a seaway. You never see that setup on true bluewater boats. I suppose if you're going to try to rely entirely on electronics it would be O.K., but this old bird still totes charts, a sextant and reduction tables. Just in case.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020 09:01 
Tactictian

Nice job on the storage especially in the port side settee backs. the removal of the starboard pilot berth was that a later change done by Tartan? Mark, #337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020 12:32 
Skipper

Mine's hull #216, and remains a pilot berth (I like it), so this being an older hull (not much), I'll bet some came out cabinets, some came out berth.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020 19:49 
Skipper

Dave,

Yes, that is the modification I remember. Re downloaded them and put them in an OBVIOUS folder. LOL

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email