Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Self Steering Gear

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Self Steering Gear
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2019 09:55 
Skipper

I'm pecking away at my wish list. I know I'm going to run into trouble with all the Raymarine electronics on the boat, requiring multiple replacement (I have the non-touchscreen stuff). Also looking at AIS for shits and giggles.

But I was wondering if anyone had installed self steering gear. In particular, I'm looking at the simplicity and rudderhead quadrant connection of the Cape Horn unit. The whole thing will spoil the better part of $5,000, but I think its worth it. I've looked at others over the years, but Cape Horn seems like a very elegant installation.

Edit: found the thread on the Cape Horn, talked to Yves Gelinas up in Montreal. "SIGH," got a lot to do on this old girl, but at least she's solid and well rigged. And completely bagged in tarps for the winter.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Self Steering Gear
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2019 09:49 
Skipper

Autopilot ?

Check out autopilot threads. I have one for a Raymarine stand alone unit but can be incorporated into most Raymarine displays.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2019 09:31 
Skipper

There is a Raymarine autopilot, quadrant mounted, mechanical drive. The helm looks like a jet fighter display. Too busy for me. Haven't gotten to electronics yet. But there's a lot going on up above the wheel.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2020 15:13 
Rail Meat

I have looked at self steering windvanes and it appears hydrovane is the best looking option available as it is a independent self steering system.
No attached linesto steering or quadrant.
Also works in light wind
And works as a emergency rudder system if you were to loose steering or main rudder.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2020 15:29 
Skipper

We have a Cape Horn installed on the boat and also have a B&G T2 autopilot ram hooked to the quadrant. It is nice to have both as the Cape horn requires no power, but I find we use the autopilot more frequently since it is quick and easy to setup.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2021 21:36 
Navigator

Feliz, Are you happy with the B&G autopilot? Upgrading from the wheel-mounted Raymarine is on our list for next year. It just seems too wimpy for the ocean. It slips a lot.

Where did you mount the outboard end of the autopilot ram?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2022 09:23 
Midshipman

Maineiac wrote:
I'm pecking away at my wish list. I know I'm going to run into trouble with all the Raymarine electronics on the boat, requiring multiple replacement (I have the non-touchscreen stuff). Also looking at AIS for shits and giggles.

But I was wondering if anyone had installed self steering gear. In particular, I'm looking at the simplicity and rudderhead quadrant connection of the Cape Horn unit. The whole thing will spoil the better part of $5,000, but I think its worth it. I've looked at others over the years, but Cape Horn seems like a very elegant installation.

Edit: found the thread on the Cape Horn, talked to Yves Gelinas up in Montreal. "SIGH," got a lot to do on this old girl, but at least she's solid and well rigged. And completely bagged in tarps for the winter.

I just installed a used Hydrovane on Splash. 4 Bolts hold it on thru two mounting pads, so it's a pretty simple installation. The hardest part of the install was matching the pads to the transom shape, angle then dish.

Only tried it out a couple times since installing, but it works as advertised and steers great to apparent wind. Added bonus: I ran over a bunch of floating grass motoring back in the second time out with it. When I backed off of it I noticed that(my normally wayward and meandering in reverse boat), backed as straight as an arrow!

#66 Splash

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2022 18:17 
Skipper

I ended up "buying" a Tartan 34CB (no, I told the guy, I don't want the boat - just the fittings - he agreed). $5K and I got a yanmar 3gm30f, a new Cap Horn vane (I measured, it fits), a new Lewmar windlass for the lobster boat (and cabling), a full set of new sails, a Harken IV furler, new Lewmar portlights for the lobster boat, 6 AGM 100ah batteries that came back to life nicely, solar panels, controller, Xantrex charging system, several blue seas panels, ANOTHER Rocna 15 anchor, pathfinder radar, full new B&G AIS radio outfit, another GPS (Simrad, maybe) a couple danforths and a ton of other stuff, wires, stainless nuts, bolts. The guy was fitting out for world tour and got divorced. Boat still sits in his ex's driveway. That was an uncomfortable un-refit. Now I have the leftovers to get rid of, but I've already got my money back.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2022 19:43 
Skipper

Wow sweet deal!

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2023 15:29 
Tactictian

In continuing the topic of self steering I was wondering if there is anymore to offer on type of wind pilots used and favoured by forum members. Has anyone used an Aries as they seem to be plentiful as used and reasonably priced.#337

Profile Email