Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Ultraviolet water sterilizer

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ultraviolet water sterilizer
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2019 20:19 
Rail Meat

https://www.watersafepro.com/models200-212.html

I'm thinking about one of these, does anyone have any experience with them?

Hull #340

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Ultraviolet water sterilizer
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2019 20:06 
Rail Meat

I'm in lake now, but will be heading to the Gulf in the fall of '20, including Mexico. I was more concerned about bacteria in the fresh water that I'd be picking up along the way, as well as bacteria that might grow inside the tanks on the boat.

Hull #340

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2019 22:00 
Skipper

UV doesn’t help taste, removing heavy metals. We use an excellent Multipure filter for drinking water and carbon for the whole boat. We put a shot of bleach in tanks and filter taste out. With a Multipure I would drink water from Flint or Mexico.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2019 11:33 
Skipper

At my house, we use rainwater collection. Everything that a 35X50 foot roof will collect goes into 3 storage tanks. This water gets pumped back to the house to a Pura UV20-3. With 3 stage filtration. Sediment, odor and UV. We've been using the system since 2015.

I would have no problem using your setup on my boat.

Replace the UV lamp at the recommended intervals. They supposedly slowly lose effectiveness and even if they are lit up they may not be strong enough to kill the bacteria.

Shipping could offset this price difference. https://thesolarstore.com/model-212-uv- ... tirfufbe57

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2019 19:14 
Rail Meat

Wayne,
Thanks for the input. I guess the question is, do I need it in the Caribbean and Mexico?

Hull #340

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2019 19:07 
Skipper

In the Caribbean and Mexico it is going to be a crap shoot for finding water sources—marinas are generally good, but they are few and far between. You will need dedicated jerry cans to lug the stuff from local sources (and a folding cart). Learn to live with little for starters. You can follow any of the advice above, but what most cruisers have is a filter that attaches to a garden hose that filters ALL the water you pick up from public sources and marinas in Mexico and the Caribbean as you fill your tanks in marinas and public docks. The problem is not bacteria in your tanks (take care of that with bleach as described) it is with sediment and mostly, sand, that they use to filter their water in many Central American municipalities. If you consistently take water from public docks you will find the inside of your tanks getting sandy if you do not filter it as it goes in. As a practical matter, many cruisers drink bottled water and use the water in your tanks for dishes and personal washing. This is the way I lived for two years in Central America. I didn’t get sick until I got to Florida and dove on my prop. Don’t swim in the ICW, it is a sewer in many places.

Ray Durkee

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019 20:23 
Tactictian

Just a thought, I know a lot of people do drink filtered tank water. A word of caution, my friend with Bristol 35.5 was leaking anti freeze in his hot water heater, possibly contaminating his tank water. It's probably very diluted, maybe only on the hot water side, but Ethylene Glycol is poisonous.

Hull #439

Profile Email