Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hooligan Refit Continues - Final Re-spray of Deck Gel Coat

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hooligan Refit Continues - Final Re-spray of Deck Gel Coat
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2019 15:39 
Able Bodied Seaman

Never thought this "little" project would end, but have finally completed the last gel coat spray of Hooligan's deck.... the white strips inboard of the toe rails. A lot of work for two 3" inch stripes! Used the same approach and equipment as previously for cabin top and deck. As with almost all projects, the prep was the hard part. Major change was to keep the tarps on the life lines elevated about 6" above the toe rails. I covered the toe rails with paper extended about 12 " down the sides. This allowed me to spray from straight above the deck which helped get good coverage behind the lifeline station bases. Still not used to a new spray gun, so had some slight orange peel. This was corrected after gel coat dried by wet sand (400 grit) and polish. I am very happy with the out come - I'm sure this project would have cost thousands if performed at a yard. Since I already had the basic equipment, I estimate the cost around $450.00 ($200 for custom color gelcoat, $150 for chemicals, and $100 for misc. items). The big number was hours. I worked on this project in 4 stages (cabin, deck, port toe rail, starboard toe rail) and found I got better/faster with each phase. Still, I spent over 150 hours on the project. Lesson learned; Don't try this unless you have a lot of free time and like working on "old" boats!! Lucky for me, I'm retired and love working on "old" boats!
I have attached a few photos of the last 2 stages.

Tom Lindsay
Hooligan #370

Attachments:
Initial Taping Stb Side Toe-rail 1.JPG
Initial Taping Stb Side Toe-rail 1.JPG [ 521.17 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Initial Taping Stb Side Toe-rail 2.JPG
Initial Taping Stb Side Toe-rail 2.JPG [ 492.36 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Tarps in Place Stb Side Toe-rail 1.JPG
Tarps in Place Stb Side Toe-rail 1.JPG [ 713.75 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Tarps in Place Stb Side Toe-rail 2.JPG
Tarps in Place Stb Side Toe-rail 2.JPG [ 647.79 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Re-gelcoat Port Side Complete.JPG
Re-gelcoat Port Side Complete.JPG [ 564.28 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Re-Gelcoat Complete Stb Side.JPG
Re-Gelcoat Complete Stb Side.JPG [ 544.19 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Re-Gelcoat  of Deck Complete.JPG
Re-Gelcoat of Deck Complete.JPG [ 479.11 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Re-gelcoat of Cabin Top Complete.JPG
Re-gelcoat of Cabin Top Complete.JPG [ 566.71 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hooligan Refit Continues - Final Re-spray of Deck Gel Co
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2019 17:28 
Skipper

Wow. You're my hero of the month. Someone put 1 part poly on my coach and cockpit, and I'm not really interested in stripping, sanding, fixing spider cracks, etc. before gelcoating, so I called Epiphanes here in Thomaston, ME, and asked "you got a primer I can put a 2 part finish over that won't be problematic with 1 part poly underneath?" Yup. So we go with Epiphanes.

Decided to take off the stainless cap at the toerail and glad I did. Pulling out all the old polysulfide and re-caulking with Life Caulk. Gaps all over the place. Half the screws came out way too easy, some were 1", some were 1.25". Going from 8 to 10 on replacement, clean the stainless, mung everything up, put it back on. The rail scuppers I'm going to look at. Seems like you could do better than throw runoff at a lip in the stainless cap rail.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2019 05:41 
Skipper

Hi ho, hi ho and all that malarkey. I've never tried to match gelcoat dings, especially dark blue. That's on today's agenda after I blow the boat off and get the caprail cleaned, the hull deck joint spooged and the stainless back on.

Yeah, I'm going to paint w/2 part on the coach and deck. I appreciate the depth of work it took to gelcoat the deck. But I got Epiphanes boys just down the road to keep me out of trouble. Hope everyone's 4th was more exciting than mine. I thought I could email myself photos and post from my phone, but I guess technology is over my head.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2019 10:18 
Able Bodied Seaman

I seriously considered using a 2 part paint, but decided to go with gel coat as Hooligan was never painted. In retrospect, I probably should have as gel coat has a 15 minute working time vs up to 2 hours for high quality 2 part epoxy paints. As a result, I sprayed using max 4 oz. size batches. You were smart to remove the SST fittings. I checked the deck fittings for integrity and found 1 leg of the bow pulpit that was leaking. Removing/upgrading/re-bedding will ensure integrity for years to come.

Please post some photos of your progress as I am sure other owners are considering these same projects ......

Tom Lindsay
Hooligan #370

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2019 09:27 
Skipper

I have to give my phone to my 11 year old grandaughter to get the photos emailed to me. I just don't have time to figure it out. Stripped the port hull/deck joint yesterday, and sanded the toerail and laid on 2 coats of Cetol while I had the staging there. Cleaned the stainless cap strips, will put them back on with Boat Life. Or whatever the polysulfide is. Voids everywhere in that hull/deck joint. Resizing the screws up to #10 as well. Some just fell out. It looks like some of the old ones clipped the edge of the aluminum flange, bent the crap out of them.

Also took 40 years of paint off the sea strainer, which was stuffed with barnacles when I finally found the screws and got it off. 3/4" intake is way too small for that old W-50. Out comes the thru hull and valve for something that will carry a little more water.

Profile Email