Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Mid-Ship Cleat

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 08:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mid-Ship Cleat
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2019 10:37 
Able Bodied Seaman

One of the easiest and best modifications I have made to Hooligan is the installation of a mid-ship cleat. When I bought Hooligan 19 years ago, I wondered why Tartan hadn't installed one since a spring line always required a bow / stern set-up. Finally got around to installing one when I had my dock modified and installed Slide-Moors, as I needed 2 tie-up positions and bow would have required a piling located several feet away from dock. I installed a 3" x 5" backing plate below deck and raised the cleat 1/4" using starboard. The cleat is located close to the toe-rail and is "protected" by the forward life-line gate stantion. It has been over 2 years and haven't stubbed a toe yet! Went thru hurricane Irma last year with no problems. Only regret is that I installed an 8" vs 10" cleat.
I have attached a few photos of the install...

Tom Lindsay
Hooligan #370

Attachments:
Mid-Ship Cleat Raised.JPG
Mid-Ship Cleat Raised.JPG [ 452.3 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Mid-Ship Cleate Stb Side.JPG
Mid-Ship Cleate Stb Side.JPG [ 573 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Spring Line Cleated Port Side.JPG
Spring Line Cleated Port Side.JPG [ 787.91 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Mid-Ship Cleat
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2019 07:48 
Tactictian

The timing for this post is quite a coincidence. Last week I took over my Tartan 37,#337, "Gypsy Soul" and delivered her from Outer Banks up to Norfolk to be hauled at Cobbs until the fall. When tying up at the lifting well I noticed the lack of a centre fairlead and cleat and promised myself the first upgrade will be what you have shown perhaps with two cleats if possible. I too wondered aloud why Tartan would not include a most important bit of kit at the design stage if not years later as an upgrade. Nice job by the way.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019 09:09 
Rail Meat

The mid-ship cleat is a must and that is a nice install. On Waterborn (#369), we have a track on the toe rail and an adjustable mid-ship cleat. It’s nice to have it outboard of the toe-stubber walk and adjustable, but I do like that your seems to be a little sturdier.

Beaufort, SC

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019 19:10 
Able Bodied Seaman

I used the same adjustable cleat set-up until I installed a slide-more system. Since the boat is tied to 2 bases which move up & down on an aluminum I beam attached to a 10" piling at 2 locations (stern and mid-ship) I needed a sturdy cleat mid-ship. I raised the cleat with 1/4" starboard so the lower edge of the 8" cleat would be level with the base of the fairlead and give me more room for multiple and larger diameter lines if required.

Tom Lindsay
Hooligan #370

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019 10:11 
Skipper

Who has the aluminum rail chocks? All I've been able to fondle are the $200 (approx) bronze or chromed bronze ones.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019 09:35 
Skipper

This boat bum can’t imagine doing w/o midship cleat(s). “Aurora” too has toe rail mounted 1 1/4” tracks which accommodate a pair of Schaefer 8 1/2” cleats on each breast. Cats’ pajamas

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2019 07:54 
Skipper

A few years ago I put a midship bronze cleat from Spartan marine
https://www.spartanmarine.com/all-produ ... rail-chock
into the rail. I think it looks like it could be original and was happy with the results. I was able to tap it into the aluminum plate that the toerail goes into.
I don't have a good close up picture but this gives you an idea.

Richard

Attachments:
003.jpg
003.jpg [ 267.8 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2019 11:19 
Skipper

Here's a better picture. The cleat could be better but still works fine

Richard

Attachments:
20190630_103732.jpg
20190630_103732.jpg [ 3.66 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2019 11:24 
Skipper

Berwick,

That is a nice option. I have a bit of hurricane damage on the port toerail in just the right location for a midships cleat. Your cleat looks like just the thing to alleviate the damaged look to the toe rail.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019 10:46 
Skipper

I'm convinced, and no toe-banger cleat inboard. I don't like the track cleats that could easily tweak the track in rough weather.
Quick delivery, too, since they're about an hour from the house in Maine. In fact, there's still a T37 sitting at Robinhood Marine (Kangaroo) that might be had for a very reasonable price. 3 bolt pintle, needs a rudder checkover, been on the hard for awhile now.

Profile Email