Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Internal halyards and mast exit plates

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 17:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Internal halyards and mast exit plates
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2019 20:53 
Rail Meat

Howdy good people. I'm looking into moving halyards internal. My intention is it to utilize the existing pulleys. I Took a very quick look into the mast with an endoscope and it seems as though there is no structure between the spreader roots, which was my primary concern for chafe. I am thinking about using Schaefer exit plates. After a bit of research it seems as though in order to minimize loss of structural integrity in the mast, minimum offsets for the halyards exits would be 12"vertical with 6" fore/aft.

Has anyone done this? Thought and input welcome.
Steve

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Internal halyards and mast exit plates
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019 09:47 
Skipper

My internal halyards (except spinnaker) were done by the factory and your materials and plan seem the same as they used. FWIW. The mast, if the same as mine, is grossly overbuilt, so I would not have a lot of concern about precision on this matter. I would caution you about leading everything aft to the cockpit. Some experienced off shore folks (I am one of them), do not believe that the main halyard should be led aft because it can complicate the reefing process rather than simplifying it. An aft led cunningham is used to adjust tension on the main luff.
FWIW.
Ray Durkee

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2019 22:38 
Skipper

I did mine 20 years ago. These mast are way over built. I was able to cut holes and file the hole smooth, no exit plates. The jib is about a foot lower than the main. My jib is roller furler, so not going up and down much. Make certain you get the main halyard high enough, so it can be jumped while raising. Best low cost mod, I ever did. That and removing my topping lift.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020 12:06 
Rail Meat

Just to follow up, best "easy" upgrade I've done! I DESPISE noise at anchor, and this all but eliminates the halyard noise. No extra chaff to speak of either. I used the Schaefer stainless exit plates and they work as they should.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2020 10:47 
Skipper

Yeahhh. Reminded me of being on the boat on a mooring in Cowpet Bay one night on my old Pearson 10M before a race. Internal halyards don't solve the problem alone. They just drive the sound down into the salon. Small storm. Beam chop. Internal halyards. Like marbles in a metal gas can. Next refit haul I put foam pipe insulation up through the mast. Never had a problem with binding, stopped the noise. I can't remember if it was that boat or another, but when rewiring I took short pieces of the pipe insulation and "bow tied" it around the wiring lead to the masthead light as I dragged it up in with a messenger. That solved the problem. Otherwise, I just tie off external halyards to the rail or elsewhere at night. Since I'm rewiring my mast (once I get the snow off it), I'll probably do the same on the T37.

Profile Email